These Strawberry Protein Cake Bars won’t taste like any “diet” food! Sweet, moist and fluffy. You won’t even taste the garbanzo beans. And I promise you won’t miss the whipping cream either.
Only 96 calories, 5.8 g of sugar & 2 WW points+ per bar. Pinch me. A whole new level of clean eating and dessert snacking.
The idea for these strawberry bars came after I made this vanilla protein cake, that followed protein chocolate cake after black bean chocolate cake. It turned out amazing. Half of it I cut into cubes and froze for future use in trifle recipes. Summer and berry season is almost here. Yay. I’m such a berry girl…
I still had half of the cake left. So I decided to make these strawberry bars. I remember as a child, my mom used to mix dry cottage cheese with sour cream and fruit for dessert. I hated it, now I love it! This frosting recipe below turned out delicious.
I used organic non-fat cottage cheese from Trader Joe’s. My favourite. You will need to dump the whole 1 lb container in the colander, rinse with cold water and drain. You will end up with small curds of cottage cheese. Didn’t have time to take a picture…
You can also skip adding sliced strawberries in the middle layer but the bars would taste sweeter and more moist. My photo of the bars doesn’t have any but next time I will definitely add some.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 15 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 scoops (90 g) whey protein powder, unflavoured & unsweetened
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Cooking spray
- 1 tub (1 lb) 0% fat cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 20 medium size strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a blender, beat egg whites until foamy. Add almond milk, agave, applesauce, vanilla and chickpeas. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl add protein powder, whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix to combine. Add to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Line 8 x 11 baking dish with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray and pour batter into it. Bake for 30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on the cooling rack.
- In the meanwhile, make the Strawberry Frosting. In a food processor combine cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, agave nectar, 4 strawberries and pure vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- Cut cooled cake into 16 bars and then each bar in half lengthwise.
- Spread some of the Strawberry Frosting in the middle, top with sliced strawberries, gently cover with the top piece of the cake and put some frosting and sliced strawberries on top. Repeat with the remaining bars. Serve.
- Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
Servings Per Recipe: 16 pieces
Amount Per Serving = 1 piece:
Total Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 1.5 mg
Sodium: 248 mg
Total Carbs: 13.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3 g
Sugars: 5.8 g
Protein: 9.7 g
WW Points+: 2