These sweet potatoes and eggs. This one pan dinner came out of sheer desire to eat a wholesome dinner and my lack of energy. Kid have sports around dinner time, so I either make dinner before or after, and it gotta be quick. I’m exhausted either at 4PM or at 6:30PM. So tired that I decided to cut sweet potatoes in half instead of chopping. Similar to sweet potato skillet tired.
To season the yams, I dumped them into my most favourite stainless steel deep bowl with 1 tbsp of avocado oil and spices: garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper. I was too tired to even peel and grate a clove of garlic. Extra step and tool is extra step and tool. That is why I used garlic powder and didn’t dice potatoes.
Then I placed seasoned yams in a baking dish, a sheet pan or anything large for baking works. If you have got convection oven, use it – you will shave off about 5-7 minutes of cooking time. I literally sat down to browse fliers with a cup of tea (it cheers me up so much in the evening) to catch a breath. Man, at 6 PM the struggle is real. Then I added grape tomatoes (I was too exhausted even to cut “regular” tomatoes), cracked the eggs all around and crumbled some feta on top.
Voila. Isn’t it magic?! Today, I remade egg and sweet potatoes to post here, and enjoyed it for lunch with my mom’s adjika recipe. It was SO GOOD I had to put my laptop away and just eat, I couldn’t stop. Grape tomatoes were popping in my mouth, barely soft with tender skin. Eggs were cooked perfectly – not runny but not thick solid. And sweet potatoes with goat feta cheese (I prefer it to cow’s feta), avocado, adjika, hot pepper flakes and lime juice – OMG I DIED. With a glass of my kombucha (making kombucha from scratch is so easy and 30 times cheaper) – I died again.
And I had it again for dinner because swimming lessons and making new king size (!) bed (equal to a 20 minute run). You get the taste of hash browns, frittata or sweet potato egg bake without huge labour investment. Super easy healthy wholesome dinner right for just about Thursday when a thought of cooking dinner is depressing. Enjoy and I want you specifically to note that this sweet potato and eggs dinner was only for me and Alex, kids ate store bought local pirogies because they are weird and do not like sweet potatoes. So, I went crazy on black pepper and hot pepper flakes, woohoo. Cheers to 80% clean eating and sanity happily ever after!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2 lbs), cut in halves lengthwise
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 2 handfuls of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Cilantro, green onions, hot pepper flakes, avocado and salsa (adjika), for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, line 9 x 13 baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Toss well until potatoes are coated.
- Lay potatoes cut side up in previously prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes (convection oven reduces baking time by 10 mins or so) or until knife tender.
- Remove from the oven and carefully crack eggs in between the potatoes, top with tomatoes, sprinkle with feta cheese and bake for another 9-10 minutes or until egg whites are white.
- Remove from the oven and garnish as you wish. Serve hot.