Since healthy breakfast has to include complex carbs, my choice always turns to whole foods like oats, quinoa and sweet potatoes. I have never incorporated sweet potato in a breakfast dish before and was absolutely amazed how this sweet potato egg casserole turned out!
Sweet potatoes add amazing creaminess and sweetness to this egg bake. Feel free to use all eggs or a combination of eggs + egg whites, and make sure to try my sweet potato oatmeal muffins and sweet potato and eggs one pan dinner. Flavourful delicate mini omelettes with so many nutrients. I used only 1/2 cup of organic white cheddar cheese but you can use any. I’m going for full fat cheese and using less of it.
How to Make Sweet Potato Egg Bake
Grate sweet potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, salt, pepper, taco seasoning and whisk for 30 seconds. Add milk, cheese, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno peppers and whisk to combine.
Add sweet potatoes and spinach, mix, transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, warm or cold.
Kale would be a great substitute for spinach. You could also throw in some chopped broccoli, mushrooms or tomatoes. Use what you have.
You can also control the spiciness of sweet potato egg bake by using less or more taco seasoning and jalapenos. My kids loved this dish despite the fact they absolutely dislike sweet potatoes. Last time I doubled the recipe and baked in a larger dish. I was planning to freeze some but the bake was all gone in a few days. Enjoy!
- 3 small (12 oz) sweet potatoes, coarsely grated
- 6 large eggs or 3 large eggs + 1 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup any cheese, shredded (I used full fat white cheddar)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, seeded & minced (for kid friendly I used 1/2 tbsp)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line 8 x 8 square baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.*
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs, salt, pepper, taco seasoning and whisk for 30 seconds. Add milk, cheese, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno peppers and whisk to combine.
- Add sweet potatoes and spinach, mix, transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, warm or cold.
*You could also use a non-stick muffin tin, just make sure to spray it REALLY well with cooking spray, or use silicone muffin tin. I also like to double the recipe, bake in 9" x 13" baking dish and freeze for later. Please note, baking time will increase by about 20 - 25 minutes, depending on your oven.
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Amount Per Serving = 1 square:
Total Fat: 4.0 g
Cholesterol: 68.3 mg
Sodium: 392.0 mg
Total Carbs: 8.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 7.6 g
WW Points+: 3