This sweet potato egg casserole came out flavourful, fluffy and absolutely loaded with nutrients and vitamins. It contains 1.5 lbs of sweet potato hash browns and 4-5 cups of baby spinach – layers upon layers of creamy sweet potatoes, tender spinach, fluffy eggs and gooey cheese. Amazeballs deliciousness!
You can assemble this egg bake the night before and bake in the morning (all those holidays and brunches) or it’s perfect for a meal prep (flavourful delicate mini omelettes with so many nutrients).
When was the last time you had so many vegetables for breakfast?! Thought so.
How to Make Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
Grate sweet potatoes. If potatoes are not too dirty (farmer’s), just rinse them and shred – no peeling necessary. Skin contains vitamins and nutrients.
Grate some hard sharp cheese like Cheddar, Gruyere or Swiss. I use Kerrygold Dubliner which I love (btw, it doesn’t freeze well), no low fat stuff.
In a large mixing bowl add eggs, taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk for 30 seconds.
Add milk, 2/3 cup cheese, green onions, and jalapenos. Whisk to combine.
Tip: I clean and mince a few jalapenos at a time, then freeze for any time I need a tablespoon or two. Saves cleanup time and fingers (nose and eyes) “on fire”.
Add sweet potatoes and spinach. Stir well to mix. Mixture will be thick, and it might look like it needs more eggs but it doesn’t – trust me on this one!
Transfer to prepared baking dish, flatten with spatula and bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese and bake for a few more minutes until cheese has melted.
Make Ahead: Assemble, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Then bake in the morning (perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and any brunch).
Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes.
Using long serrated knife, cut into 12 squares. Serve warm or cold.
Enjoy this healthy sweet potato breakfast casserole!
Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes, coarsely grated*
- 12 large eggs**
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1 cup sharp hard cheese, shredded & divided***
- 1/2 cup green onions or cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp jalapenos, seeded & minced
- 4 cups baby spinach, packed
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, line 9x13 baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs, taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; whisk for 30 seconds. Add milk, 2/3 cup cheese, green onions, and jalapenos; whisk to combine.
- Add sweet potatoes and spinach, and stir well to mix. Mixture will be thick, and it might look like it needs more eggs but it doesn’t. Transfer to prepared baking dish, flatten with spatula and bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese and bake for a few more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes and cut into 12 squares using long serrated knife. Serve warm (great for holidays) or cold (awesome for meal prep).
*If potatoes are not too dirty, just rinse them and shred - no peeling necessary; skin contains vitamins and nutrients. **Substitute with 6 large eggs and 2 cups egg whites. ***I used Kerrygold Dubliner; sharp cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss would work. Use full fat, no low fat stuff.