Are you tired of my orange skillet yet?! I might have got too excited to cook with it because I just love quick dinners. I’ve been hunting for this enamelled cast iron skillet for the past six months and finally got it for $50. Now we are big friends. And be prepared to see three photos of the same skillet from left, right and top. I got too excited cooking my sweet potatoes and forgot to snap any shots in between.
This sweet potato skillet is a big fat YUM for a vegetarian 30 minute healthy dinner. My kids wouldn’t touch it, I’m being honest. They can’t stand sweet potatoes but I have seen kids who love them. Luckily, I have made a soup that day too. I swear by soups – they keep me sane.
This sweet potato skillet…oh my. It has a bit of a kick from the taco seasoning. I used all natural from Trader Joe’s. Fajita seasoning would work too. And you can never go wrong with black beans, corn, avocado and cheese combo, right?!
I originally added turkey baked the casserole in the oven. Today my meat store was out of turkey, and the other store had it just for too much for my budget. So, here we go vegetarian and it was awesome! You definitely can add some ground turkey, diced chicken or tofu.
I decided to make it on a stove top this time because sometimes there is just no need to make things more complicated. 30 minutes is more than enough for flavours to marry each other and veggies to cook in this skillet. Especially, many flavours are added after cooking. I find fresh herbs added during the cooking process just get cooked and wasted. I do not like cooked herbs and see no point adding them until the very end.
The texture of this sweet potato skillet is very soft! The taste is fresh! Leftovers -> plenty. Healthy delicious dinner in under 30 minutes. What not to like, right?! Enjoy!
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned is OK)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1/2 tbsp all-natural taco seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 cup (4 oz) Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Non-fat Greek yogurt & salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and add coconut oil, spreading with spatula. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and corn, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes, remaining cumin and salt, black pepper, taco seasoning and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Squeeze lime juice on top, sprinkle with cheese and broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese turns golden. Top with avocado, green onions and cilantro. Serve hot with non-fat Greek yogurt and salsa if desired.
You could add some ground turkey, diced chicken breast or tofu for extra protein. Cook it in the skillet first and then proceed with the recipe.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 1/3 cups:
Total Fat: 16.6 g
Cholesterol: 13.8 mg
Sodium: 733.7 mg
Total Carbs: 35.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.9 g
Protein: 17.0 g
WW Points+: 9
And before you go… In the past 5 months, I have been testing 25 of these Clean Slow Cooker Recipes. I’m still in a process of putting the recipes together in a book that will be available for sale on October 5th. In the meanwhile, you can sign up below to receive a 20% OFF coupon by email. This discount is for email subscribers only and won’t be offered on the eBook launch date.
What’s inside the eBook:
- 25 brand new recipes that have never appeared on iFOODreal before
- 20+ gluten free recipes
- Easy, kid frienldy recipes with nutritional info including WW Points+
- Lots of chicken and quinoa + more healthy comfort food like Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, my mom’s Ukrainian Borscht and Kale Artichoke Lasagna and so much more. Would you be surprised to hear that you can make a Philly Cheesesteak in a slow cooker too?!
To sign up, just enter your Name and Email below and you will receive 20% OFF code on eBook’s launch date – Oct 5th. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!!!