Lean chicken, crunchy veggies, toasted cashews, fresh cilantro tossed with lime juice, fish sauce and tamari.
I love Thai food but haven’t had it in a while because, let’s say, it isn’t light. Lately, we have been taking boys to the pool on Fridays (and more) and after going out for a dinner. We always end up at a sushi restaurant because it’s easy to eat clean there. Last time, boys wanted Thai. We ended up at the Japanese restaurant again (guess who insisted?!) but I made up for it in my kitchen last night.
Lean chicken meat, crunchy veggies, toasted cashews, fresh cilantro tossed with lime juice, fish sauce and tamari (soy sauce), and you got yourself a quick and healthy Spaghetti Squash Bowl. I’m always thinking what to make for dinner. It never ends. I’m sure you can relate. Well, here you go.
For me and Alex, I served this Thai chicken over spaghetti squash. These nature’s own noodles are a delicious low calorie replacement for pasta. And for kids, I quickly cooked whole wheat spaghetti and I heard only crunching and no complaints. These Spaghetti Squash Bowls are juicy, with a perfect amount of crunch and I was so glad I toasted the cashews. A tip: buy cashew pieces as they are cheaper.
This is my kind of meal: lean protein, chock-full of veggies, a bit of complex carbs and healthy fats. Juicy without an overabundance of high calorie sugary sauce thanks to the lime juice and fish sauce. Just the right amount of flavour without extra calories. These spaghetti squash bowls are a true bikini meal and make great leftovers for up to 2 days. By the way, summer is in 32 days. Are you ready?!:)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3/4 cup cashews (pieces)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp tamari or low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, divided (more to taste)
- 2 cups red cabbage, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp jalapeño pepper, minced (I remove seeds)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp salt + a pinch, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees F. Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Punch randomly with a fork, place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper/aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large non-stick skillet on medium and add cashews. Toast until lightly brown, stirring frequently and watching closely not to burn. Transfer to a large bowl. Return skillet to medium heat and add 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Add bell pepper and cook with a pinch of salt for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl with cashews and set aside.
- Return skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tsp coconut oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add chicken and cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally and draining liquid if necessary. Add fish sauce, 2 tbsp of say sauce, 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes and cook for 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally. As the liquid evaporates, you will have to stir more frequently to get that nice golden crust and flavour on each chicken piece. Transfer to a bowl with cashews and bell pepper, along with cabbage, cilantro, green onions, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix gently to combine and let the flavours "marry" each other while you are getting spaghetti squash ready. Feel free to adjust saltiness and spiciness of the dish with extra soy sauce and red pepper flakes to suit your taste. This dish is mild, perfect for kids.
- Remove squash from the oven, let cool until it's safe to the touch and separate into strands with a fork.
- To serve, place desired amount of spaghetti squash in a bowl and top with chicken and veggies mixture. Serve hot. For a kid friendly version, I serve this Thai Chicken over whole wheat spaghetti.
P.S. I’m providing Nutritional Info for spaghetti squash and Thai Chicken separately, so you can build your bowl. It was very hard to decide on a serving size for this recipe because my serving size might be different from yours, while I’m doing crazy Insanity.:)
Nutritional Info – Spaghetti Squash
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 28.0 mg
Total Carbs: 10.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
Protein: 1.0 g
WW Points+: 1
Nutritional Info – Thai Chicken
Servings Per Recipe: 7
Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
Total Fat: 7.2 g
Cholesterol: 61.6 mg
Sodium: 560.7 mg
Total Carbs: 7.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 32.6 g
WW Points+: 6