Today is super awesome Thai turkey meatballs day. They are full of your favourite Thai flavours like curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, basil, green onions and coconut milk. Both, the sauce and the meat.
Meatballs don’t have to be smothered in tomato sauce (slow cooker porcupine meatballs), nor do they have to be simmered for hours (meatless meatballs). They can have your favourite Thai flavours, be cooked in a skillet, within 30 – 40 minutes. Healthy dinner can be ready that fast.
Meatballs do not have to contain eggs, bread or breadcrumbs. I found with zucchini turkey burger that shredded zucchini makes any ground meat juicier.
How to Make Thai Turkey Meatballs
Use any meat you have on hand. We cook a lot of game meat, so I used venison for this recipe. But because I realize most people are “normal” and do not hunt, I’m giving you an option to use turkey, beef or buffalo.
You don’t even need to cook the meatballs through. Just until brown on all sides.
Then you add the sauce.
Very simple sauce: coconut milk, tomato paste, curry paste and fish sauce. Add as many hot pepper flakes as you like. Kaffir lime leaves are optional, but give the sauce a nice sweet touch. You can find them dried, in any asian store or online (they last forever).
We served these turkey zucchini meatballs with organic short grain brown rice. You can easily get away with whole wheat spaghetti or even quinoa. And if by any chance, you are a lover of all things Thai and salmon, try my Google winning Thai salmon.
Thai Turkey Meatballs in 30 Minutes
- 2 lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded & liquid squeezed out
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut milk, light (canned)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 1 + 1/2 cup coconut milk, light (canned)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 5-6 dried kaffir lime leaves (optional)*
- In a medium bowl, combine Meatball ingredients and mix with your hands thoroughly. Make 28 meatballs by spooning heaping 1 tbsp of mixture and rolling between your hands. Lay on a cutting board or plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add meatballs and cook until brown or for 2-3 minutes, turning a few times. No need to cook the meatballs through.
- Add the sauce, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve warm with brown rice or brown rice noodles. Add garnish like fresh cilantro and green onions.
*You can buy kaffir lime leaves in any Asian store or online. They are sold dried and last forever in a sealed container.
Servings Per Recipe: 28
Amount Per Serving = 1 meatball + 1-2 tsp sauce:
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 12.7 mg
Sodium: 170.4 mg
Total Carbs: 1.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 7.6 g
WW Points+: 1