Take full advantage of local tomato season before we are forced to eat supermarket tomatoes. My favourite way to eat this fruit is with salt and pepper, and this tomato and red onion salad is a direct reflection of my tastebuds – any kind of tomatoes, generous amount of sliced red onion, a tiny garlic clove tossed in Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. That’s it, simple like my simple tomato salad. So fresh, juicy, delicious and takes 10 minutes to make!
For this tomato salad, any kind of tomatoes work – roma, beefsteak or heirloom. You could pull this healthy tomato salad off in winter with greenhouse grown tomatoes on the vine. Pick tomatoes that are bright red colour, soft but not squishy, and without bruises. The most important kitchen tip I can share when it comes to working with tomatoes – sharp knife!
How to Make Tomato and Red Onion Salad
Aren’t they a beauty?! This time, I used smaller roma tomatoes, red and yellow. Winter kind, tomatoes on the vine, are of similar size and would work amazingly in this tomato and red onion salad, let’s say in February. If you have large tomatoes like beefsteak or heirloom, I recommend cutting them into half moon shape slices and then cut each slice in half crosswise. The goal is to create uniform size tomato chunks.
To core tomatoes, I first cut them in halves, and then using a paring knife to remove the bottom part where fruit has been holding onto the plant. You know what I mean.:)
Zesty red onion is crucial for this tomato salad – it adds a significant punch of flavour. You can use white onion too. Do not worry about the amount of onion as it gets significantly neutralized by Greek yogurt.
Herbs are optional and totally up to taste. Honestly, I like this tomato and red onion salad both ways. I had local cilantro going old in the fridge and couldn’t let this blood cleansing herb go to waste.
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain (2% and higher fat)
- 1 tiny garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley, dill or cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- Cut tomatoes in half and core. With a sharp knife, cut into half moon shape slices or whatever big chunks you like. Add to a large salad bowl along with red onion, Greek yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs (if you wish). Stir gently to mix and serve immediately.
- To prepare tomato and red onion salad in advance, add Greek yogurt, salt and pepper right before serving.