I specifically named this recipe Vegan Asparagus Soup because there aren’t many. Because iFOODreal is not a vegan blog. Because dairy products seem to get into our meals daily. Because eating less animal products is good for us. I find dairy and meat are readily available for a grab option where as vegetables need labour in order to become a satisfying meal. Because I live real family life with 2 children being vegan is not an option and I am not convinced it is necessary. Therefore, I do my best to eat everything in moderation. Hence, vegan asparagus soup to balance out a bit of meat we ate every day last week on our mini vacation (details in newsletter => sign up).
Majority of asparagus soup recipes call for heavy cream. My problem with all white creamy soups is that they need a lot of heavy cream. I do not mind a bit and still I prefer plant-based foods any time I can opt for them.
I had no idea how this asparagus soup will turn out with coconut milk…
I knew I wanted to use asparagus, potatoes and coconut milk for sure. I also didn’t feel like being repetitive and make a Thai flavoured soup. Most coconut milk and peanut butter recipes are made into Thai and Indian food. Which is great but I wanted something different.
So, I just went for it and added onions sautéed in Earth Balance vegan butter (you can use any fat you wish) and a few tablespoons of whole wheat flour. Just to thicken the soup along with cornstarch in potatoes. And if you let this soup sit for a few hours it will get even thicker. Also feel free to skip flour.
Kids loved this vegan asparagus soup! They couldn’t taste the coconut milk but I could. It was lovely, quick and fresh spring soup. Next time I will double the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter (vegan, real or any oil like coconut or avocado oil)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat or spelt flour*
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium**
- 3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed & chopped into 2” long pieces
- Preheat dutch oven or medium pot on low-medium heat and swirl butter/oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add coconut milk, broth, salt and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Add asparagus, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
*Flour makes thicker and creamier soup. Omit or use cornstarch for gluten free version. Potatoes will release starch in a few hours to thicken the soup as well. **If not vegan use any broth (I used beef).
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 23.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 532.5 mg
Total Carbs: 48.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.2 g
Protein: 7.6 g
WW Points+: 11