I specifically named this recipe Vegan Asparagus Soup because there aren’t many. Because iFOODreal is not a vegan blog. Because dairy products seem to get into our meals daily. Because eating less animal products is good for us. I find dairy and meat are readily available for a grab option where as vegetables need labour in order to become a satisfying meal. Because I live a real family life with 2 children being vegan is not an option and I am not convinced it is necessary. Therefore, I do my best to eat everything in moderation. Hence, non dairy asparagus soup to balance out a bit of meat we ate every day last week on our mini vacation (details in newsletter => sign up).
Majority of asparagus soup recipes call for heavy cream. My problem with all white creamy soups is that they need a lot of heavy cream. I do not mind a bit and still I prefer plant-based foods any time I can opt for them.
I had no idea how this asparagus soup with coconut milk will turn out.
I knew I wanted to use asparagus, potato and coconut milk for sure. I also didn’t feel like being repetitive and make a Thai flavoured soup. Most coconut milk and peanut butter recipes are made into Thai and Indian food. Which is great but I wanted something different.
So, I just went for it and added onions sautéed in Earth Balance vegan butter (you can use any fat you wish) and a few tablespoons of whole wheat flour. Just to thicken the soup along with cornstarch in potatoes. And if you let this soup sit for a few hours it will get even thicker. Also feel free to skip flour.
Kids loved this best ever asparagus soup, the only asparagus soup they know! They couldn’t taste the coconut milk but I could. It was lovely, quick and fresh spring soup. Next time I will double the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter (vegan, real or any oil like coconut or avocado oil)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat or spelt flour*
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium**
- 3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed & chopped into 2” long pieces
- Preheat dutch oven or medium pot on low-medium heat and swirl butter/oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add coconut milk, broth, salt and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Add asparagus, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
*Flour makes thicker and creamier soup. Omit or use cornstarch for gluten free version. Potatoes will release starch in a few hours to thicken the soup as well. **If not vegan use any broth (I used beef).
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving = 2 cups:
Total Fat: 23.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 532.5 mg
Total Carbs: 48.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.2 g
Protein: 7.6 g
WW Points+: 11