Lots of foliage in this vegan kale pesto to kick off 2016 right! And it is vegan not because I’m vegan but because I do not like Parmesan cheese in a pesto. I would rather sprinkle it on top of pesto noodles. And eating less dairy and more vegetables is a plus anyways.
Pesto sauce is a tough food item in my clean eating books. It is impossible to find organic or at least non-GMO in my neck of the woods. I have tried a few homemade versions before but they were OK. My kids are not crazy about pesto either so that is another issue. However, I think I finally nailed it – we like vegan kale pesto with a lot of pine nuts in it. For boys – on top of whole wheat spaghetti, for me – mixed with chicken zucchini noodles.
How to Make Vegan Kale Pesto
In a food processor, add all kale, basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Process on High for a few minutes, pausing and scraping the walls.
With food processor running on High, slowly pour olive oil and let processor run for a few minutes to make sauce fluffy and creamy.
Transfer to a glass jar.
Vegan Kale Pesto
- 2 packed cups kale, stems removed & chopped
- 2 packed cups basil, including stems
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- In a food processor, add all ingredients, except olive oil. Process on High for a few minutes, pausing and scraping the walls.
- With food processor running on High, slowly pour olive oil and let processor run for a few minutes to make sauce fluffy and creamy. Transfer to a glass jar.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 2 tbsp:
Total Fat: 15.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 152.8 mg
Total Carbs: 6.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
Protein: 2.5 g
WW Points+: 4