This zucchini noodle bowl recipe is very simple and uses only soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic for seasonings. I always thought Asian dishes require too many ingredients. About a month ago I tried to cook salmon this way and it was amazing.
I added a bit of brown rice because we find just veggies and protein is not enough for dinner, for any of us. I love dinners with a lot of veggies and a bit of complex carbs otherwise I am hungry at 9PM. So, this was perfect and in under 30 minutes. You can leave rice out if you wish. Enjoy!
Oriental Salmon Zucchini Noodle Bowls
- 1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked*
- 6 x 5-6 oz salmon fillets (we like with crispy skin)
- 5 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 3 large zucchini
- 3 cups snap peas
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 - 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 green onion sprigs, chopped
- Cook rice as per package directions (if using) and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, mix 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar and garlic. Add salmon and turn fillets a few times to coat leaving flesh side down to marinate for 10 minutes or so. In the meanwhile, make zucchini noodles using a spiralizer) and coarsely chop snap peas.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet (I now use ceramic Ozeri) on medium heat and spread to coat 1 tsp sesame oil. Add salmon in batches (discard marinade) and cook for 4 - 5 minutes or until golden crispy on each side. Transfer onto platter and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add water, remaining sesame seed oil and snap peas. Cook for a few minutes until cooked but still crispy, stirring once. Add zucchini noodles, rice (if using), remaining soy sauce and rice vinegar, and spinach. Stir and remove from heat. To serve, place zucchini noodles in a bowl with salmon on top, sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve hot.
*Skip for a lighter dish.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = approx. 1 1/2 cups veggies & rice + 1 salmon fillet
Total Fat: 14.7 g
Cholesterol: 94.0 mg
Sodium: 652.8 mg
Total Carbs: 22.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
Protein: 38.3 g
WW Points+: 9