It is a crowd pleaser. Your kids will be fighting for leftovers. Your guests will be blown away. And it’s so easy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American Ukrainian
- 3 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 brown mushrooms or 2 portobellos, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 cup hard cheese like mozzarella or marble, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using breasts cut in half lengthwise.
- In a large baking dish, add chicken, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat evenly and spread in a single layer. Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes. Chicken is cooked when pale and surrounded by clear juices.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and saute for 5 more minutes, stirring.
- Remove chicken from the oven and turn broiler on High. Separate chicken a bit from each other and top each piece with vegetables (sprinkle around too) and top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with rice, quinoa or veggies.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.