As my life gets busier, my recipes seem to get more simple. I think you and me are on the same page. Recently, you confirmed what I suspected – we share the same addiction – Mr. Crock Pot. healthy turkey chili, healthy slow cooker pulled pork, then chicken, rice & mushroom soup => all big love from you, guys. I should see if I can get a few crock pots for a giveaway for you. Took a note.
How do you know your life is busy?! It’s when you buckled your toddler in and out of carseat 5 times by 11:30AM. And you have a husband with a dislocated shoulder. Poor Alex… So, technically I have 3 kids for a while and I know, for sure, I never want/ed to have 3 kids. I’m 100% positive => me + Alex + 2 little people = happy forever and see you later.
Then, you need this baked Dijon chicken in your life. Rubbed with a creamy Dijon prepared mustard, fresh garlic, salt & pepper. Yes, that’s it. Then just bake for 45 minutes and get your quinoa/rice/farro and salad ready in the meanwhile.
I used organic Simply Natural Dijon prepared mustard. You can find it at most grocery stores, even Walmart. Note, it’s not the same as a coarse Dijon mustard, it’s creamy and very mild. I guess you could use regular yellow mustard as well.
Alex said it was the bomb dot com. Juicy, tender and flavourful. He really embraced chicken back in his life with open arms. That’s after 5 vegetarian days last week. My man loves his veggies…with chicken. So do I, in all honestly. 3 vegetarian days a week is a perfect scenario for us.
Anyways, this baked Dijon chicken is everything you want from a healthy and tasty chicken. I used drumsticks and made sure to rub the sauce under the skin and then pull the skin down. I, personally, love dark meat and it’s cheaper than chicken breasts. I also do not eat the skin but keep it on during the baking as it helps to keep the moisture in. You can use thighs or cut up whole chicken. Please note, if making with white meat like chicken breasts, reduce cooking time to 30 minutes or until cooked through.
This healthy chicken recipe is truly simple and delicious! Sometimes, simplicity is the best! Let me know how your baked Dijon chicken turns out. Take a picture and tag it @ifoodreal on Instagram. Also, hashtag #ifoodreal with your creations. I love seeing what you cook!
P.S. I doubled the recipe and we had leftovers for lunch.
Baked Dijon Chicken
Baked Dijon Chicken – drumsticks rubbed with a creamy Dijon prepared mustard, fresh garlic, salt & pepper. Simple and healthy recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8 chicken drumsticks (thighs)
- 1 – 2 tbsp Dijon prepared mustard (I used 2 tbsp)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss well to coat. If chicken has skin on, make sure to rub well under the skin and then pull it down => ensures moist chicken.
- Arrange on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes (chicken breasts) to 45 minutes (dark meat like drumsticks and thighs with bone in) or until cooked through. Poke chicken with a knife and if juices are clear, it is ready. Serve warm, with a whole grain like quinoa/brown rice and/or salad.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.