If you are looking for healthy breakfast ideas, look no further. These banana oat protein muffins made with mashed banana, plant based protein powder and rolled oats offer a complete breakfast on the go. Also vegan and gluten free. Ever since I started using MyFitnessPal app to make sure I eat balanced, I was completely blown away how easy I over consumed carbs and didn’t get enough protein. Especially at breakfast time.
That’s how these clean eating banana protein muffins were created. With 3 g of healthy fats, 9 g of complex carbs and 4 g of protein, these individual baked oatmeal cups truly offer a complete breakfast. And note only 2 g of sugar, naturally occurring, versus commercial oatmeal packets and protein bars with processed sugars and chemicals like aspartame and sucralose (so popular Quest bars fall into this category).
I try to get majority of my daily carbohydrates intake before late afternoon, to fuel me for the day and not for the bedtime.:) These banana oat protein muffins are perfect for your morning commute to work, kids’ school lunches or for a crazy mom like me, who is often eating breakfast while doing 10 things at a time. They taste divine with a cup of coffee. I usually have 2.
These banana oat protein muffins taste like my healthy banana bread with a chewy texture of an oatmeal. They are absolutely moist, simply delicious and couldn’t be easier to make. Double or triple the batch and freeze for later. I used Sunwarrior protein powder. Lately, I also have been enjoying Vega Sport. You can use whey protein. I wouldn’t recommend using any “weird” chalky tasting protein powders like hemp or pea.
Banana Oat Protein Muffins
Banana Oat Protein Muffins recipe made with plant based protein powder, oatmeal, ripe bananas and applesauce. Taste like banana bread with a chewy oatmeal texture.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 3/4 cup mashed overripe banana (1 1/2 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1/2 cup vanilla plant-based protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Extra banana slices, for decorating
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, milk, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add oats, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and gently stir until combined. Fill each tin 2/3 full and top with banana slice (if desired). Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and muffins are ready to eat immediately. Serve warm or cold.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.