Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie is a healthy Shepherd’s pie with cauliflower mash broiled with cheese on top, and filled with ground turkey, corn, peas and chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
Mashed Cauliflower Crust:
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Separate cauliflower into florets and cut in smaller chunks. In a medium pot, combine cauliflower, garlic and enough cold water to cover. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Drain.
- While cauliflower is cooking, preheat large deep cast iron skillet or wide dutch oven*** on medium heat and swirl 1 tbsp of oil to coat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add turkey and cook for 8-10 minutes or until brown, breaking into small pieces with spatula.
- In a small bowl, whisk together stock, milk, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Pour over turkey, stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- While meat sauce is cooking, to a pot with cauliflower add butter or olive oil, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Using an immersion blender, process until very smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Add chickpeas, corn and peas to the meat sauce and stir well. Place dollops of mashed cauliflower on top and level with spatula. It might not cover entire skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler for 5 minutes (rotating if necessary) or until cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
*I use organic GoBio bouillon cubes. **Any milk works. ***If you don’t own any cast iron skillet make meat sauce in a skillet with a lid and then transfer to a baking dish before broiling.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.