Mexican Chicken and Zucchini cooked in one skillet with black beans, corn, fresh herbs, taco seasoning and melted cheese on top. One pan, low carb and 30 minutes dinner.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 1 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 tsp store bought or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Tex Mex or Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet on low – medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper; saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move vegetables to the side of the skillet and add chicken. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cumin, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, taco seasoning and remaining cumin. Stir, cover and cook on low-medium for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for a few minutes or until cheese has melted. Top with green onion and cilantro. Serve hot, on its own or with brown rice or quinoa.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 – 4 days. Do not freeze.
To reheat: Simmer on low heat in a skillet for 5 minutes covered. If you use non-stick skillet you should not need any water or oil to reheat the dish as again zucchini will release water.
Do not over cook zucchini. Follow the recipe and do not cook until zucchini appear soft and cooked. They comprise of 95% water and the longer you cook squash, the more water it releases.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.