After I made zucchini lasagna and everyone loved it, I was super eager to make another casserole using zucchini in place of heavier layer like tortillas or pasta. However zucchini + corn tortillas make delicious crustless zucchini pie.
Gigantic garden zucchini would be perfect for that. I was always amazed at a difference between store-bought perfect shape zucchini and garden giants. You could even use sliced rounds if your zucchini is huge.
I used chicken thighs but any type of chicken meat works. Ground turkey or shredded leftover turkey would be great (especially if you are reading this recipe Thanksgiving/Christmas time).
I used whole jalapeños (seeded) and it was a bit too spicy for my kids. So, use half or use whole not seeded if you can stand the heat.
Chicken Zucchini Casserole Enchiladas Style
Healthy Chicken Zucchini Casserole Enchiladas Style with layers of cooked shredded chicken, sliced zucchini and homemade enchilada sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 24 oz tomato sauce (passata, strained or crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tsp organic taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1.5 lbs chicken thighs or breasts, boneless & skinless
- 1/2 tsp organic taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8″ thick slices
- 3 tbsp quinoa, uncooked & divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) mozzarella/cheddar/pepper jack etc. cheese, shredded
- 0.5 – 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, diced (for kids version use 0.5)
- In a medium bowl, stir Enchilada Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine Chicken ingredients, mix with your hands and let marinate for 5 – 10 minutes while you are slicing zucchini.
- Preheat large skillet on medium heat and add chicken. Cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes, turning once. Let cool a bit, transfer to a cutting board and shred using 2 forks.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium 8″ x 11″ baking dish add a few tablespoons of Enchilada Sauce, spread to coat and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of quinoa. Place sliced zucchini widthwise (cut some slices in halves to fit into the end of the dish) overlapping a bit to create a single layer. Spread half of chicken, then half of Enchilada Sauce, top with half of cheese and jalapenos, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp quinoa. Repeat another layer, finishing with a layer of zucchini and sprinkling cheese on top.
- Bake covered tightly for 45 minutes, then uncovered for another 20 minutes and broil on High for 5 minutes or until cheese has browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 8 slices and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight glass container for up to 5 days. Do not freeze.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.