Your kids will call this easy 20 minute crispy fried tofu “chicken”. It’s that good!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 x 12 oz packages firm or extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Green onion, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, add cubed tofu and soy sauce on top. Stir gently with silicone or wooden spoon (metal will do more damage to tofu’s delicate texture). Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, add cornstarch, garlic powder and pepper. Stir well with a fork and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add half of the olive oil. It should be hot enough to make tofu sizzle right away.
- Add tofu cubes to a bowl with cornstarch mixture and gently stir to coat. Tofu will be coated in sticky wet cornstarch mixture. Perfect!
- Add half of the tofu to a pan in a single layer. Cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Flip each cube with a spatula and pan fry for a few more minutes or until crispy (you can add half of the soy sauce mixture now too). Transfer to a plate and repeat this step with remaining tofu.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion. Crispy tofu is best served immediately as it loses its crispiness after half an hour I would say. Or if you cover it. Still delish!!!
You can use toasted sesame oil in place of olive oil. So good and that’s what I usually do. I just ran out of it.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.