This Healthy BBQ Sauce Recipe contains simple ingredients you have on hand or can find at most stores. Ready in 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 2.5 cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp unsulphured molasses
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Bring to a boil, cover half way with a lid to prevent splashing and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir a few times to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Let cool and transfer to a glass jar. Use as you would use a store bought BBQ sauce.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight glass jar for up to 1 month.
Freeze: For up to 3 months.
Our BBQ sauce seems to be used faster than any of these recommendations.
You can find liquid smoke in many grocery stores in a spice or condiment aisle.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.