Healthy Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe with brown rice, broccoli and no canned soup makes one easy baked healthy comfort food from scratch.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Ukrainian American
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, low sodium
- 8 cups (1.5 lbs) broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt, fat 2+%
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup marble or any hard cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Preheat large dutch oven on medium-high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add chicken, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and stock, stir and bring to a boil. Lay broccoli on top and do not stir, cover and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add yogurt and green onion, stir. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in a fridge overnight. Reheat in a microwave or in the oven at 375 F for 10 minutes.
I like to use brown jasmine or basmati rice because grains stay separated once cooked. I used organic bouillon cubes to make vegetable stock.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.