Healthy Chicken Parmesan that is baked instead of fried, then topped with marinara sauce and Mozzarella cheese for absolutely delicious, gooey and easy comfort food at home.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise. You should end up with 8 thin chicken cutlets that do not require pounding.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine almond flour, Parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir with a fork.
- Dip each cutlet into breading on both sides by pressing on it and repeating one more time (so breading sticks better). Place on a baking sheet.
- Spray with cooking spray and bake for 25 minutes. Then broil at 500 degrees F until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top each cutlet with 2 tbsp marinara sauce and sprinkle with 2 tbsp cheese.
- Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted at 450 degrees F.
- I also like to spread more marinara sauce in a baking dish, transfer cutlets on top, bake and serve like that. Looks impressive. 🙂
- Serve over whole wheat spaghetti, fettuccine or zucchini noodles. Chicken parmesan also goes well with simple lettuce salad.
Make ahead: I baked chicken, topped it with marinara and cheese, then refrigerated right on baking tray covered with linen towel. Next day it’s ready to bake. You can also freeze it this way, then transfer into a resealable freezer bag, thaw and then bake.
If you would like to bake from frozen, I recommend to freeze just breaded chicken cutlets, bake from frozen 10 minutes longer and only then top with marinara and cheese.