These Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins are bakery style, moist and healthy muffins with lots of mini chocolate chips that will disappear in seconds. So good and wholesome!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 egg, large
- 1 cup regular or Greek yogurt, plain (2%+ fat)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or any mild tasting
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg for 10 seconds.
- Add yogurt, oil, maple syrup, milk, vanilla, baking powder + soda, and whisk to combine.
- Add flour and gently stir until well incorporated (batter will be thick). Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough.
- Add chocolate chips and give a few more gentle stirs.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide batter between 12 openings.
- Bake for 7 minutes in preheated to 425 degrees F oven.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (no need to wait for oven to cool off) and bake for another 10-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Store: Store in a cool dry place for up to 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- For all purpose flour, use 1 cup of white flour for every 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour that recipe calls for.
- Please avoid 0% yogurt, muffins won’t be as moist. Spend your time finding whole milk plain yogurt and buy it from now on. So much healthier than non-fat.
- No chocolate chips? If you have a chocolate bar, chop it into chunks.
- Pumpkin: Substitute 1 cup yogurt with 1 cup pumpkin puree for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (we love this bread too).
- Banana: Substitute 1 cup yogurt with 1 cup mashed banana for banana chocolate chip muffins.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.