These healthy cinnamon rolls have 4 times less sugar than other recipes and yet are fluffy with healthy frosting on top.
- Prep Time: 140 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 cinnamon rolls
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Healthy Cinnamon Rolls Dough
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp quick rising yeast
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or whole wheat flour
Healthy Cinnamon Filling
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
Healthy Yogurt Frosting
- 1 cup Greek or plain yogurt, fat 2% +
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Make Healthy Cinnamon Roll Dough
- Warm up milk and 2 tbsp butter on the stove until 109 degrees F or warm to the touch. If the milk is hot or above 120 degrees F let it cool down.
- Add yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, salt and whisk well. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Mixture should be foamy. If not, discard and start again.
- In a large bowl, add foamy milk and 2 eggs; whisk.
- Add flour and stir with spatula until can’t any further. Then knead for about 5 minutes. Alternatively you can use a stand mixer.
- Place a ball of dough into the same bowl, cover with plastic wrap, lid or towel. Put in a warm place like near a heat register, inside an oven with a bowl of boiled water or by the stove if you are cooking.
- Let dough sit undisturbed for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Make Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- Melt 2 tbsp butter.
- In a small bowl, add sugar and cinnamon; stir.
Form Cinnamon Rolls
- Flour the surface and a rolling pin with a bit of all purpose flour.
- Place risen dough on it. Using your hands, form a rectangle. Roll out into 12″ x 24″ rectangle.
- Brush the butter leaving 1/4″ border all around. Sprinkle the filling all over buttered part.
- Starting at one long end, roll the dough as tightly as possible. Pinch the dough on all ends. Long and short.
- Use a tape measure and divide into 12 same size pieces. I recommend to measure to the center first and mark with a sharp knife. Then the center of the “new” log etc. Using very sharp knife or floss, cut the dough into 12 same size pieces.
Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place cut cinnamon rolls in 4 rows, 3 per row. Cover with towel or plastic wrap.
- Let cinnamon rolls rise in same warm place for 30-60 minutes. Depends how warm is your room. Good indicator of proper rising is when rolls doubled in size and are touching each other.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1 egg with a splash of water to make an egg wash. Brush cinnamon rolls generously on top and sides. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Healthy cinnamon rolls are ready when they look like cinnamon rolls.
Make the Yogurt Frosting
- Remove healthy cinnamon rolls from the oven and while they are cooling down a bit, make the healthy icing. It’s optional but so good.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Refrigerate if necessary. I recommend to add it not more than an hour before serving.
Serve Healthy Cinnamon Rolls and Be Proud of Yourself!
Drizzle the frosting all over the rolls and then spread with a butter knife. I recommend to add it not more than an hour before serving.
How to Make Ahead
You can leave assembled cinnamon rolls in the refrigerator overnight. Please DO NOT leave them on a counter. You have to refrigerate cinnamon rolls to avoid dough rising too much. Cover entire baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator, partially unwrap and let rise until doubled.
As for the flour. You can use ALL white whole wheat flour. Substitute spelt flour with whole wheat flour. You can’t use all whole wheat or spelt flour because all my tests didn’t produce good results. You have to use all-purpose flour.
Any dairy milk works. I used 3.25%. Dairy free milk like almond milk works too. Rolls will be a bit less flavorful.
Vegan butter or coconut oil works.
Substitute cane sugar with coconut or brown sugar. You can substitute sugar with liquid sweetener like honey or maple syrup ONLY in the dough. DO NOT make liquidy cinnamon filling. It will run out and you will be upset. I tried many times. You need sugar.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.