Healthy Green Bean Casserole Recipe made from scratch with pecan parmesan onion topping. Low calorie, low sodium and light healthy alternative made from scratch without mushroom soup or breadcrumbs.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
Healthy Green Bean Casserole:
- 2 lbs green string beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 10 (8 oz) brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp avocado oil
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
Pecan Onion Topping:
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped or crushed
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced in half moon shapes
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Healthy Creamy Sauce:
- 2 1/2 cups homo milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp basil, dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried ground
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add pecans. Cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Return skillet to the stove and swirl 1 tbsp oil to coat. Add onions and cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown/almost charred, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl with onions.
- Return skillet to the stove and swirl 1 tsp oil. Add green beans and a splash of water, stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once. Transfer to another large bowl.
- Return skillet to the stove and swirl remaining 1 tsp oil. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- While mushrooms are cooking, in a medium bowl add Creamy Sauce ingredients: milk, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and cornstarch. Whisk together.
- Add to the skillet with mushrooms. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened a bit, about 4-5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray medium baking dish with cooking spray.
- Turn off the heat, add green beans and stir to coat. In a bowl with onions and pecans, add remaining Pecan Onion Topping ingredients: salt, oregano and Parmesan. Stir well.
- Transfer green beans to previously prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the topping. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
How to Make Ahead, Store and Reheat
- The day before: Follow the recipe and assemble the casserole. Allow it to cool. Don’t bake. Cover tightly with plastic and refrigerate until next day. Bake as per recipe.
- The day of: Refrigerate leftovers tightly wrapped.
- The day after: To reheat, place in a 350 degrees F oven until warmed through. Honestly I don’t even preheat the oven. It doesn’t matter. Or utilize the microwave if you have transferred leftovers into a container. Easy-peasy.
You can substitute regular milk with almond milk etc., just be prepared for a slight change in taste, if you don’t mind.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.