Hearty Minestrone Soup Recipe with beans, pasta and vegetables. Healthy and creamy with no cream or starch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup and Stew
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp coconut or avocado oil
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 9 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups small pasta of choice, dry
- 3 large handfuls of spinach or kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add celery and carrots, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, tomatoes, beans, rice and stock; stir. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Add pasta, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Scoop 2 cups of mostly rice and beans from the bottom, blend until smooth (I used an immersion blender) and return to the pot. This will make soup creamy.
- Add spinach or kale, parsley, basil and red pepper flakes if you wish. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese, if you wish.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
You can also use a total of 3 + 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning instead.
Because I use my own unsalted cooked beans, you might need to adjust salt depending on the sodium content of the beans you use.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.