Instant Pot Bolognese Spaghetti Sauce Recipe made with half ground turkey and half secret ingredient that will knock any nonna’s socks off. Flavorful, cheap and healthy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 14 oz tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 6 oz tomato paste, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup black lentils, uncooked (rinsed & drained)
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Stovetop: Preheat large deep skillet or dutch oven on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, sauté for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium – high, add ground turkey and cook for 10 more minutes, breaking into small pieces with spatula and stirring often. Add oregano and basil, cook for 30 seconds, stirring a few times.
- Reduce heat to low – medium, add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, lentils, honey, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 50 – 60 minutes or until lentils are tender. Do not open!
- If at the end bolognese sauce is too thick add some water but first stir and see.
- Instant Pot: On Instant Pot, press Sauté and preheat until display says Hot. Swirl oil to coat, add onion and garlic; sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add oregano and basil, cook for 30 seconds, stirring a few times.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 5 more minutes, breaking into small pieces with spatula and stirring often.
- Press Cancel and add other ingredients in this exact order: water, lentils, honey, salt, pepper, tomato paste, tomato sauce. Do not stir! Close the lid, turn release vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking for 25 minutes on High.
- After display says Off, turn the valve to Quick Release and release the pressure. Stir the bolognese sauce.
- Serve hot over whole wheat pasta or any greens like arugula, spring mix or kale.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Freeze: Freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Brown or green lentils will work great just the texture might be a tad different which is not a big deal.
You can use any canned tomato product like tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes or strained.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.