Instant Pot Bolognese is Italian meat sauce made in 40 minutes instead of simmering for 3 hours. Same hearty and flavorful sauce that will knock your nonna’s socks off.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 lbs ground beef, turkey or mix of both (I did)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 28 oz tomato sauce, low sodium
- 6 oz tomato paste, low sodium
- Parmesan cheese and parsley, for garnish (optional)
- On Instant Pot, press Sauté and preheat until display says Hot.
- Add ground meat and cook for 10 minutes, breaking into small pieces with spatula and stirring often.
- Press Cancel and add other ingredients in this order: onion, celery, carrots, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, tomato sauce and paste. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, turn valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 15 minutes.
- After, turn valve to Venting (Quick Release) and release the pressure.
- Sauce might appear watery. Give it a few stirs and it will be awesome.
- Serve hot over pasta, rice or quinoa. Or any greens like arugula, spring mix or kale.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Freeze: Freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- I like to use a combo of ground beef and more lean turkey for balanced flavor and health. You can do either or.
- If you use beef only, I recommend to drain the fat.
- Diced tomatoes will work but sauce will be more chunky and more watery.
- Crushed or strained tomatoes will work as well.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.