Healthy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe with boneless chicken breast or thighs and brown rice cooked in one pot of electric pressure cooker. Comes out perfect every time!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
- Cuisine: Ukrainian American
- 2 lbs chicken boneless & skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1” pieces*
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups long grain brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 3 3/4 cups water*
- On Instant Pot, press Sauté and let appliance preheat a few minutes until display says Hot. Add olive oil, onion and garlic; sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press Cancel and add thyme, oregano and cumin; cook another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients in the following order: chicken, carrots, brown rice, water, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 22 minutes. Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 15-20 minutes to come to pressure, you will see a bit of steam coming out from a valve, then float valve will rise and countdown will begin.
- When display says OFF, release the pressure using Quick Release method by turning pressure valve to Venting position, which takes 2-3 minutes. I recommend doing so outside to avoid smell and mess in the house. Then open the lid.
- Stir. If you like corn and peas with your chicken and rice add frozen now and stir again. Serve hot!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
*If using chicken thighs, add a bit less water ( 3 2/3 cups total) because thighs are fattier and add to the liquid content during cooking.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.