Perfectly cooked fresh or frozen chicken breasts in Instant Pot every time. Shred or cube and use in tostadas, chicken salad or any meal prep.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: North American
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts, fresh or frozen*
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- To the Instant Pot, add water and place trivet with handles inside. Lay chicken breasts in a single layer (if using frozen make sure they are separated) and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly with tongs or hands.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 20 minutes for fresh or 25 minutes for frozen chicken breasts. Display will say ON, Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, you will see a bit of steam coming out from a valve, then float valve will rise and countdown will begin.
- After 20-25 minutes your chicken is ready, Instant Pot will beep, display will say OFF and now it needs to bring pressure down before you can open it, which will be indicated by a dropped down float valve. It is called Natural Release and I don’t recommend to do Quick Release (turning sealing valve to Venting position) with this recipe. It should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Open the lid and your chicken breasts are ready for meal prep, casseroles, salads etc. Shred or cube, and save the stock at the bottom for soup.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in a fridge or on a counter.
*If using frozen chicken breasts make sure they are separated. Think about it before freezing a whole tray, separate them with parchment paper.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.