Instant Pot Carnitas is a crowd pleasing juicy and crispy Mexican pulled pork served in tacos, burritos or salads and topped with quick pickled onions. Crazy EASY and GOOD!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 14 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 3–4 lbs pork shoulder or butt roast
- 1 large orange, juice of or 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 limes, juice of or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 can of any beer
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 14 corn tortillas
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white, white/red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In Instant Pot, place trivet or steamer basket inside. Add pork roast and pour beer, orange and lime juice all over the meat.
- In a small bowl, add chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Rub pork roast with garlic and then sprinkle with a mixture of spices all around. Top with onions and citrus skins.
- Place the lid on top, venting valve to Sealing and cook for 1 hour on High pressure.
- While roast is cooking, make quick pickled onions by combining red onion, cilantro, water, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir and refrigerate.
- After 1 hour, do Quick Release or Natural Release – doesn’t matter.
- Transfer pork roast onto a baking sheet and shred with 2 forks.
- Pour 1 cup of meat juice on top and broil on High at 550 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until crispy. I would also reserve more juices to rehydrate meat later.
- To make tacos, place some shredded pork on a corn tortilla and top with quick pickled onions. ALso can serve with guacamole or pico de gallo. Enjoy!
Store: Refrigerate meat for up to 5 days. To reheat, pan fry until crispy when ready to eat.
Make Ahead: You can assemble the roast in the inner liner of Instant Pot, cover with silicone lid and refrigerate for up to 2 days. After cook as per recipe.
- In the video I used tenderloin roast because health crisis 2020. It is much harder to shred than butt or shoulder roast but possible. 🙂
- Substitute beer with any stock.
- Fresh lime juice tastes better than from a bottle. Lemon juice would work as well.
- You can save the juice and use it as a soup or stew base. Just discard the onion.
- Also reserve extra juices to rehydrate meat later.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.