You can make Instant Pot Rice and Beans recipe tonight! With dried black beans, no soaking, no sauteing, in 30 minutes flat. Bam!
- In Instant Pot, add ingredients in the following order (do not change): onion, brown rice, black beans, water, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and diced tomatoes. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, turn pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 22 minutes. If you live at altitude 2000 ft and above, cook for 25 minutes.
- After Instant Pot has finished cooking, release pressure using Quick Release method by turning valve to Venting and open the lid. If you live at altitude 2000 ft and above, use Natural Release.
- Add cilantro and gently stir. If rice and beans are a bit liquidy or tiny bit crunchy, close the lid and let them sit for 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm with hot sauce if desired and our favourite addition – cucumber and tomato salad. We love the pairing of hearty rice and beans with cool and fresh veggie salad. Or easy guacamole.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Freezer Meal: In a gallon size Ziplock bag, add all ingredients except water finishing with tomatoes on top. Let as much air out as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Pressure cook on High from frozen (don’t forget to add water) for 22 minutes with Quick Release.