Easy Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe with 2 ingredients. Also FAQs, how to make yogurt without yogurt button, Greek yogurt, vanilla yogurt, cream cheese and what to do with whey.
How to Make Instant Pot Yogurt
- In Instant Pot with a yogurt function, add milk, close the lid and set pressure release valve to Venting. Press Yogurt button until display reads Boil. Milk will take about an hour to heat up and when it’s finished, Instant Pot will beep, turn off and display will say Yogurt.
- Open the lid and using a food thermometer check milk’s temperature. It should be 180 F and higher. If it’s not, press Saute button and give the pressure cooker 5-10 minutes to heat the milk further. Check again.
- Remove inner pot with milk and let it cool down either on a counter (3-4 hours) or in a sink filled with cold water (15 minutes) until food thermometer reads 110 F and lower. Remove the milk skin on top.
- Add yogurt and whisk to combine without touching the bottom (disturbing sticky milk). Close the lid and leave pressure release valve in either position. Press Yogurt button until time counter is displayed and adjust time to 10 hours with + or – buttons.
- After 10 hours, Instant Pot will shut off. Insert a spoon in the yogurt and if it’s standing, your yogurt is ready.Remove the inner pot and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight. To make yogurt completely smooth, whisk it without touching the bottom.
- Divide between glass jars or make Greek yogurt, vanilla yogurt, cream cheese and yogurt whey pancakes.
Store: Refrigerate for up to 10 days. Don’t forget to reserve 1/4 cup yogurt starter for next batch (freeze in ice cubes).
How to Make Instant Pot Yogurt without Yogurt Button
- Timing is everything with this method. Follow steps 1 – 6 in Instant Pot yogurt recipe and cool off milk quickly in the sink. In the meanwhile keep lid on the Instant Pot to keep it warm.
- Then in step 7 instead of turning Instant Pot on for 10 hours, wrap it in a large beach towel and leave on a counter overnight.
Note: Instant Pot should be off and milk still lukewarm, that will ensure proper incubation and favourable environment for live cultures to grow.
How to Make Instant Pot Greek Yogurt
- Line large mesh strainer with cheesecloth folded 4 times or single layer of coffee filters, place on top of a bowl making sure there is enough space for draining the whey and add desired amount of yogurt.
- Strain for 4 hours or until desired consistency.
How to Make Cream Cheese
- Cream cheese is longer strained Greek yogurt. Follow instructions for Instant Pot Greek yogurt and strain desired amount overnight.
- Transfer to a glass container and mix with a pinch of salt. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
How to Make Instant Pot Vanilla Yogurt
Whisk 1 cup of regular or Greek yogurt with 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract. Adjust to taste and store like other yogurt.
How to Make Whey Yogurt Pancakes
Don’t know what to do with all that whey? Make my healthy pancakes.
*You can use any refrigerated cow’s milk. I used 3.25% organic because it yields creamy yogurt and is organic.:)
**Use ONLY yogurt with live and active bacterial cultures. They might have a different name. No dairy-free yogurt alternatives.