Lazy Cabbage Rolls Recipe is so darn easy and flavourful, replaces my Ukrainian grandma’s labour intensive cabbage rolls. SO tasty and EASY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 3 lbs cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 14 oz can tomato sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 x 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1/4 cups water or any stock*
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs (dill, parsley, green onions) & Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat large deep non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium – high, add turkey, oregano and thyme; cook for 10 more minutes, breaking into small pieces and stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low – medium, add cabbage, cover and let it cook for a few minutes so it will be easier to stir.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, water, salt, pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 55 – 60 minutes. Do not open!
- After check if rice is cooked and if not (mine was) add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with Greek yogurt and herbs.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely, and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in a refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a microwave or in the oven at 375 F for 10 minutes.
*I used water + organic bouillon cubes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.