Spinach Lentil Soup Recipe with green lentils, diced tomatoes and lots of Parmesan cheese I got from my Italian neighbour. And we all know how food is in Italy, right?!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup and Stew
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 5 garlic cloves, minced & divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 12 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish)
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add half the garlic and all onion; sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery; sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cumin, oregano and lentils; sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cover, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach, remaining garlic, parsley and stir. Serve hot garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.