Oven Baked Butternut Squash with no peeling or cubing. Easy and healthy Fall side dish with 4 ingredients.
Baked Butternut Squash
Let me show you the best way to make baked butternut squash! It is a dream – you don’t have to peel or cut squash into cubes.
Therefore this baked butternut squash recipe makes an easy weeknight side dish. Especially in late Fall-Winter months when local squash is an abundance and summer veggies scarce.
Everyone knows how sweet and tasty roasted butternut squash is but many dread peeling it therefore never make. For my mom, a thought of peeling any winter squash was equal to running a 10K marathon.
So, naturally we never ate one haha. Now we do.
Is Butternut Squash Good for You?
Nutrition wise butternut squash is killing it!
- Healthy carbs: Eating complex carbohydrates found in whole foods is know to help maintain/lose healthy weight. Unlike simple carbs found in processed foods like white bread, white pasta, white sugar etc., complex carbs don’t make your blood sugar levels spike up.
- Vitamins: Butternut squash contains 457% of recommended daily vitamin A allowance that helps improve eyesight. It is also a good source of vitamin E, folate and 1 cup of cubed butternut squash provides more potassium than a banana.
- Fiber: We will get very personal now. Squash promotes regularity thanks to its high fiber content. Just like coffee minus the fiber. And who wouldn’t like this fact?! I think we should stop right here.:)
- Antioxidants: Squash is full of antioxidants, beta-carotene, that gives it its bright orange colour. Antioxidants in squash may help reduce inflammation on your body, which is an issue with the Western diet.
How to Pick The Best Ripe Squash?
Look for butternut squash:
- Beige in colour without green patches
- With mat skin free of cuts and blemishes
- That produces a hollow sound once you tap on it
Why I Don’t Have to Peel the Squash?
Because we slice the squash into strips that cook fast and the skin will melt in your mouth. Just scrub with a sponge or cloth under water well.
How to Cut Butternut Squash for This Recipe?
- Trim the end. Using sharp knife cut squash into 2 halves lengthwise.
- Remove seeds with a spoon.
- Then cut one of the squash halves into 4 long slices and then make them shorter by cutting in the middle.
- Repeat with remaining half. You will end up with 16 squash slices.
How to Season Butternut Squash?
Butternut squash is pretty sweet on its own. Once you bake it, it melts in your mouth. Seasonings I used and even my squash hating 12 year old liked this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
You can sprinkle cinnamon and hot red pepper flakes if you wish.
How Long to Bake Butternut Squash?
How long to bake butternut squash? Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 425 degrees F oven or until fork tender and browned on top a bit.
How to Bake Butternut Squash in the Oven
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange butternut squash on large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Toss with your hands and spread in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
Can I Use Other Squash Using This Recipe?
Yes, you can use the following types of squash to make baked sliced squash recipe. You might have to help remove the flesh with a fork from squash variety with tougher skin like acorn or kabocha squash.
- Acorn squash – slightly dry with nut like flavour.
- Delicata squash – moist flesh that tastes and smells like a blend of corn, butternut squash and sweet potato.
- Kabocha squash – the highest sugar content of all squash.
- Buttercup squash – a smaller cousin of butternut squash.
What to Serve with Roasted Butternut Squash?
- Baked chicken breast – you can bake both at same time.
- Honey garlic salmon – quick pan seared method.
- Chicken breast with tomatoes – SO juicy!
- Cooked quinoa or brown rice as a side.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Honey butternut squash with garlic.
- Butternut squash soup loaded with good stuff and cooked in slow cooker.
- Butternut squash noodles Tex Mex style.
- One pan salmon in honey garlic sauce with vegetables.
Oven Baked Butternut Squash
Oven Baked Butternut Squash with no peeling or cubing. Easy and healthy side dish with 4 ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line large baking sheet with silicone baking mat.
- Wash squash well. Trim the end, cut in 2 halves lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut each half in 8 shorter slices.
- Arrange butternut squash on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using your hands toss to coat evenly and then arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Serve warm or cold. That’s it!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.