Healthy and Easy Red Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe with only 2 spices, no soaking, makes a big batch for busy weeknights and freezes well.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large celery stalks, diced
- 5 large carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 4 tbsp miso paste or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I used GoBio)*
- 2 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp salt**
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups red lentils, dry & rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 12 cups boiling water
- Preheat dutch oven on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery and carrots; sauté for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meanwhile, boil water and rinse lentils.
- Reduce heat to low and add miso paste or bouillon cubes; stir to incorporate them into veggies.
- Add cumin, coriander, salt, red pepper flakes, red lentils, quinoa, boiling water and stir. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
*You can use all or some vegetable broth in place of water.
**Adjust salt to taste in case your bouillon cubes are less salty than mine.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.