You will love these grilled shrimp skewers! It is such a simple recipe. You can get away with affordable medium size shrimp. Marinating time is zero minutes. Shrimp skewers can be on your table in 16 minutes.
Thread, brush, flip-flop and voila. Yes, exactly like that.
Is Shrimp Healthy?
We eat shrimp every few months as it is high in cholesterol. And expensive as well. So shrimp is definitely a treat. You can read this article and this one about cholesterol and shrimp. Make your own conclusion.
Health benefits of shrimp include low calorie quality and 90% protein content. Shrimp is high in antioxidants, more than 20 different vitamins and minerals, and provides high amount of iodine that is not available in other foods.
80% of shrimp sold in the US is farm raised abroad. It may be contaminated with antibiotics because FDA is not perfect. If you care about eating healthy, it is best to buy wild or farmed shrimp from the US or other countries where antibiotic use is illegal.
Shrimp Skewer Marinade
My easy shrimp skewer marinade consists of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. But it is so flavorful, there is no need to marinate shrimp in it. Brushing shrimp before and during grilling makes these lemon garlic shrimp skewers delicious!
Tips for Best Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe
- Pre-soak wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes. I love reusable metal skewers.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers, about 5-7 per skewer.
- To grill shrimp without skewers, cook them in a well oiled grilling basket or on silicone grill mat.
- Cold shrimp skewers are a thing.
How Long to Grill Shrimp Skewers?
Shrimp cooks fast. Don’t overcook. You want to flip and remove shrimp from the grill as soon as gray color is gone.
- Preheat grill on medium heat and lightly oil the surface.
- Place shrimp skewers on BBQ, quickly brush with half of the glaze, cover and grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip, brush with remaining glaze, cover and grill for 2 more minutes or until no longer transparent and pink.
Tip: Pressing on skewers with spatula makes nice grill marks.
What Goes with Shrimp Skewers?
More Tasty Shrimp Recipes to Try
- Shrimp tacos with homemade slaw in half an hour.
- Lemon dill shrimp with zucchini and peas in 15 minutes. Low carb yum!
- Shrimp avocado salad– a hit at any potluck and creamy without mayo.
- Shrimp ceviche with raw or cooked shrimp.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Easy Shrimp Skewers Recipe without marinating. You could be enjoying them in 16 minutes from now.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 10 skewers (7 shrimp each) 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 lbs raw medium shrimp, deveined & tail on
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- Pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- If using wooden skewers, pre-soak for 30 minutes. Thread shrimp onto skewers, about 5-7 per skewer.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper and whisk (I use a brush). Brush each shrimp skewer on each side with the glaze and place onto a platter.
- Preheat grill on medium heat and lightly oil the surface. Place shrimp skewers on BBQ, quickly brush with half of the glaze, cover and grill for 2-3 minutes. Flip, brush with remaining glaze, cover and grill for 2 more minutes or until no longer transparent and pink.
- Serve warm or cold, with a side of quinoa or brown rice, and a healthy salad like cauliflower potato salad. Such a classic summer BBQ meal.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days. Shrimp skewers taste amazing cold!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.