Baby spinach, leafy kale, tiny chia seeds. All those are superfoods and make this green stuff THE STUFF! Apple, cucumber and lemon are there for an extra health benefit but most importantly to make this smoothie drinkable. It tastes totally bearable and even delicious! Apple adds sweetness without adding too much sugar and cucumber adds coolness. You know that summery refreshing cool feeling mint and cucumber have?! That’s the one!
Chia seeds are full of dietary fiber, complete protein, contain more Omega 3 than salmon and antioxidants power higher than blueberries. And it’s highly non-perishable, fairly affordable because you don’t need much and so versatile. I use chia primarily for making chocolate chia pudding and vanilla chia pudding. My husband carries a small container with chia seeds on his run and pops a little bit while running for an energy boost. Forget the sports drinks!
And then spinach. Well, I’m sure you know it’s full of iron, vitamins A, K, C, E and cancer fighting abilities. But did you know it provides more calcium than many dairy products?! Duh! And my cabbage buddy Kale. Don’t want to be annoying but it’s super good for you!
Here is what I do. I make a full blender. I drink a glass myself. Then:
1. If Alex is around => I share. Then if kids are around I add a banana, a bit water, blend more and serve with a straw in a cup. Then I make another one later in a day and the cycle repeats.
2. If Alex and kids are not home, I refrigerate leftovers in the blender for up to 12 hours and we all do #1 later in a day.
This green stuff is precious stuff and we all scrape off the sides of the glass and the blender jug with a spoon. My dishwasher can’t fight this super stuff either, so I always make sure I rinse glasses right away. I know some people might say you have to drink it right away but the reality is different. I’d rather drink 5 hour old green smoothie than eat kind of healthy Cliff bar.
As for the calories count, it’s one of those ridiculous recipes you shouldn’t even count. Really, will you feel bad if you exceed you daily calorie intake by drinking this?! Really?! But I included the calories count for you… for the half of the jug.:)Print
Superfood Green Smoothie
Superfood Green Smoothie Recipe with spinach, kale, chia seeds, cucumber, apple and lemon.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 kale leaf, medium
- 1/2 long English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 any apple, chopped and not cored/seeded/peeled
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- In a powerful blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. If using a regular blender it is best to add the ingredients in the order listed above and press “pulse” on and off to get the blending process started. Then I usually hit “grate” and “liquify” after.
Store: It is best you consume smoothie right away but reality is different. I refrigerate leftovers in the blender for up to 12 hours and drink all day. Just an advice.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.