Budget friendly appetizer that comes together in minutes with very simple ingredients. This homemade Thai sweet chili sauce recipe fits all clean eating criteria, which you know is hard to find in a store. It is also super quick to make. My neighbour brought very similar Thai chicken bites to out Christmas party a few weeks ago and everybody loved them.
I loved how meat was not the main focus of the dish and with all other organic ingredients it was pretty wholesome, which we know is rare for an appetizer dish. However, hard to resist Thai turkey meatballs and Mexican turkey meatballs once in a while.
These Thai chicken bites are basically mini pancakes with tiny pieces of chicken inside and drizzled with homemade sweet chili sauce with a bit of a kick. You can adjust the amount of heat to your own taste. My version is almost kid friendly – I served kids separately with half the amount of sauce. You can also use any part of chicken.
Make sure to use non-stick skillet otherwise the bites will stick. Green onions are highly recommended – a nice zesty addition to a sweet chili sauce. Between four of us, we finished all bites for lunch. If you are serving only a few appies, I recommend to double the recipe. Enjoy!Print
Thai Chicken Bites
Thai chicken bites made with simple ingredients and served with sweet chili dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken, finely chopped (I used breasts)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
Sweet Chili Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, add Bites ingredients, except chicken and green onions, and whisk. Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Drop spoonfuls of batter, leaving one inch in between, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until cooked edges appear. Flip and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the sauce, add Sweet Chili Sauce ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has thickened a bit. Add a tiny bit more water if sauce is too thick to pour. Arrange chicken bites on a platter, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with onions. Serve warm or hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.