I had no idea how this vegan asparagus soup with coconut milk will turn out. I knew I wanted to use asparagus, potato and coconut milk for sure. I also didn’t feel like being repetitive with Thai flavours I recently used in slow cooker butternut squash soup.
Majority of asparagus soup recipes call for heavy cream. My problem with all white creamy soups is that they need a lot of heavy cream.
So, I just went for it and addedsautéed onions and a few tablespoons of whole wheat flour. Just to thicken the soup along with cornstarch in potatoes. And if you let this soup sit for a few hours it will get even thicker. Also feel free to skip flour.
Kids loved this best ever asparagus soup, the only asparagus soup they know! They couldn’t taste the coconut milk but I could. It was lovely, quick and fresh spring soup. Next time I will double the recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Asparagus Soup
Vegan Asparagus Soup is best ever non dairy cream of asparagus soup with potato and coconut milk. Kids loved it!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter (vegan, real or any oil like coconut or avocado oil)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat or spelt flour*
- 14 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium**
- 3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed & chopped into 2” long pieces
- Preheat dutch oven or medium pot on low-medium heat and swirl butter/oil to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add coconut milk, broth, salt and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Add asparagus, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*Flour makes thicker and creamier soup. Omit or use cornstarch for gluten free version. Potatoes will release starch in a few hours to thicken the soup as well. **If not vegan use any broth (I used beef).
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.