Looking for a real food list? First of all, I recommend to read what is real food – healthy grocery shopping will become stress free, and real family food – for resources and good recipes to start with. Then look through real food list below and download PDF to take with you next time grocery shopping. Also, if you have a family 2+, I highly recommend to start shopping at Costco – save money and almost any food can be frozen (even cheese); Check out my healthy Costco shopping list.
Fruits and Vegetables
- All, variety depends on your location;
- Organic when feasible;
- Use Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists to save money on organic;
- Shop at local farmer’s market for non-sprayed (ask!) produce;
- Buy in season;
- Fresh and frozen.
- Preferably organic.
1. Oats: quick (instant), rolled (old fashioned), steel cut oats or quick cooking steel cut oats.
2. Brown rice
4. Pasta: whole wheat, spelt, brown rice, quinoa, chickpea.
5. Bread: whole wheat (make sure it’s ingredient #1), sprouted whole grain, sourdough, rye.
8. Barley (not pearled)
12. Flour: whole wheat, spelt, oat, almond.
13. Crackers: whole grain, sweet potato, brown rice.
Beans and Legumes
- Preferably organic (non-organic are sprayed when grown and harvested with RoundUp);
- In BPA free cans (learn how to cook dried beans and freeze to save $s).
14. Dried beans
- Full fat (no 0%);
- Preferably organic;
- Grass fed or pasture raised is even better;
- Limited consumption – eat more plants;
- Plain, unsweetened and no additives;
- NO Cheeze Whiz, Kraft Singles or shaker Parmesan cheese.
17. Greek or regular yogurt
18. Buttermilk (kefir)
20. Cottage Cheese
22. Cream Cheese
23. Eggs from free roaming, eating worms and vegetables chickens are the best. Try to find local eggs or buy organic at the store;
- Eat less eggs if too expensive, more fruits and vegetables haven’t hurt anyone yet;
- NO cage free, omega, free run marketing tricks.
- Organic or grass-fed (pasture raised);
- Find local farmer who raises animals humanely and feeds non-GMO (organic) grains or grass;
- NO all natural meat – false marketing.
26. Game Meat
Fish and Seafood
- Avoid Atlantic salmon (farmed); farmed trout, tilapia, basa, shrimp (frozen in bags from Asia).
31. Salmon: sockeye, pink, coho, king, chum.
36. Any wild fish caught in the wild.
Nuts and Seeds
- Raw (preferably but roasted are tasty);
- Not blanched.
37. Milk: almond, coconut, rice, soy.
43. Pine Nuts
44. Macadamia nuts
45. Nut butters with only 1 ingredient: nuts.
46. Chia seeds
48. Hemp hearts
- For day to day cooking I use mainly 3 healthy cooking oils.
49. Butter: organic or grass fed.
50. Extra virgin olive oil
51. Avocado oil
52. Sesame oil
53. Avocado oil mayo
Sweeteners & Sweets
54. Maple syrup
55. Raw & unfiltered honey
57. Dark chocolate 75+%
58. Cane sugar
59. Coconut palm sugar
- BPA free cans;
- Low sodium.
60. Canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
63. Coconut milk – full fat.
64. Spices: no preservatives, organic when feasible, dried herbs, 3 must have homemade spices recipes.
65. Bouillon cubes (organic for sure).
66. Pumpkin puree
67. Condiments (preferably organic): soy sauce, mustard, ketchup.
68. Jarred vegetables like olives, artichokes, roasted pepper, pickles, sauerkraut etc.
74. Juice: freshly squeezed.
Real food list might vary slightly depending on your location. Just remember, if it grew on a tree or had a mother, it’s real food. Use common sense and don’t be afraid to eat real food in balance and moderation.:) Be healthy!