Hi! And welcome to iFOODreal.
I’m Olena and this is my healthy family recipes blog. Originally from Ukraine, I now live on magic Vancouver Island in British Columbia. On that below.
In 2012 I ended up at home with 2 small kids, unemployed and a wee bit chubby. I started this blog thanks to Alex’s mad web design skills and in hopes to be able to work from home. Fast forward to 2018, I never could have imagined iFOODreal would grow into a business it is today! More on that below.
My food philosophy in short is – I don’t believe in diets (including Whole30 and Paleo – yes, those are diets!). That’s me, yay, and I’m brave enough to say it because that’s how I feel and because I tried them. They ruin healthy relationship with food because diets are unsustainable in long-term and short-term is not the solution. But you decide for yourself.
Nor do I think we were born to eat. This website reflects my healthy relationship with food to which took a while to arrive via diets.
What You Will Find on iFOODreal
- Easy healthy recipes with simple ingredients.
- I post mostly dinner recipes because “What’s for Dinner?” is never going away.
- I recently got obsessed with zero pre-cooking healthy freezer meals.
- I do quite like my Instant Pot and if you were to get one I would advise on 8 quart.
- Nutritional information with every recipe as a guideline – I don’t count calories.
- Many video recipes – Thanks to Alex.
- Family friendly recipes – My kids eat almost everything thanks to my authority as a parent. Raised in Europe, I do believe that North American diet is out of control, especially kids’. Mainly thanks to adults. What every kid eats is completely up to his/her parent – 5 ways to make kids eat healthy.
A Little More About Me and Family
In my “previous life” I received a Business degree, had a short career in accounting, and then a bit longer career in real estate.
In “a life even before that” I was raised by a single mom and grandma in Kiev until I came to Canada at the age of 19. We had little (very little) but we ate way healthier than majority of North America eats now with access to real food. That’s why I’m so passionate about reducing food waste and eliminating food snobbism as a whole.
That’s why I believe anyone can eat healthy. I believe anyone can find money for a bag of potatoes, a head of cabbage and chicken soup bones. I believe anyone can learn to cook, even the ones who don’t like it. Cooking is a life skill, not a choice. Eating healthy is all about choices. Anyone makes that decision every day with every $ they spent.
Our Home and Business
In 2018 we took a leap of faith, sold our Vancouver suburban home and purchased an oceanfront fixer-upper on Vancouver Island. It is a true diamond in the rough and needs about 2 years of “polishing” a.k.a patience and money. But it’s OK. My over an acre backyard backs onto Pacific ocean. It is a dream!
You can listen to my full interview on Dreaming Big with Bjork Ostrom of Foodbloggerpro.
Above the garage will be new iFOODreal studio which we are working on super hard right now. Hopefully by Christmas. From there we will be giving new breath of fresh air into our Youtube channel. So stay tuned!
Stay in Touch
Also, I currently don’t work with brands but thank you for thinking of me.:)