Hi! And welcome to iFOODreal.
My name is Olena and this is my website where I share healthy family recipes with an Eastern European flare. Originally from Ukraine, I’m now blessed to call beautiful Vancouver, Canada my home.
In 2012 I ended up at home with 2 small kids, unemployed and a wee bit chubby. I started this blog to share recipes and motivation with like minded people who care about their health, want to look (feel) good and feed their family healthy food.
Please know I don’t believe in diets (including Whole 30 and Paleo), neither I think we were born to eat. This website reflects my healthy relationship with food – I like simple whole foods meals with a bit of lean protein, heavy on veggies and a sprinkle of complex carbs. I’m all about balance, health and living your dream!
What You Will Find on iFOODreal
- Easy healthy recipes with simple ingredients and no tricky techniques – I have never been to Whole Foods or have baked macarons.
- I post mostly Dinner Recipes because “What’s for Dinner?” is never going away.
- I do quite like my Instant Pot and you will get one eventually anyways.
- My recipes make a lot – If I’m already making mess in the kitchen, I might as well cook for the freezer.
- Nutritional information with every recipe as a guideline – I don’t count calories.
- Many video recipes – Thanks to Alex.
- Family friendly recipes – My kids eat almost everything thanks to my authority as a parent. Raised in Europe, I do believe that North American diet is out of control, especially kids’. Mainly thanks to adults. What every kid eats is completely up to his/her parent – 5 ways to make kids eat healthy.
- I am very good at making Salads that everyone will ask a recipe for.
- Chicken is my favourite meat.
A Little More About Me and Family
In my “previous life” (pre-food blog) I received a Business degree, had a short career in accounting, and then a bit longer career in real estate.
In a life even before that, I was raised by a single mom and grandma in Kiev until I came to Canada at the age of 19. We had little (very little) but we ate way healthier than majority of North America eats now with access to real food.
That’s why I believe anyone can eat healthy. I believe anyone can find money for a bag of potatoes, a head of cabbage and chicken soup bones. I believe anyone can learn to cook, even the ones who don’t like it. Cooking is a life skill, not a choice. Eating healthy is all about choices. Anyone makes that decision every day with every $ they spent.
I’m “busy” just like anyone else. My husband Alex is busy with me working on this website and together we raise our 2 boys, 12 and 7. We have no family nearby. We love to hike, go out on a boat, travel and generally have fun. We have a lot of fun as a family! We don’t have many friends.
What else? I like to “go for it” in life. I’m determined and hard working. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and wine or vodka + club soda every weekend. I do HIIT workouts twice a week. I don’t love working out but I accepted it as inevitable sacrifice to avoid chubbiness. I go for a walk almost every night, many times with Alex. I prefer not to bake because then I have to eat it.
Stay in Touch
Also, I currently don’t work with brands but thank you for thinking of me.:)