Welcome to my collection 45 quick healthy dinner ideas. From chicken tostadas to baked chicken breast, and from beef stir fry to shrimp tacos, be sure you will find an answer to “What’s for dinner tonight?” among these easy healthy dinner ideas.
By the way, I hate that question too!
Healthy Dinner Recipes
As a busy mom of 2, I know your struggle. I can help you!
During 7 years of running this blog, I have put a lot of effort to create a variety of healthy dinners you can feed your family. Be sure all my recipes are ready in 30 minutes or less, use simple ingredients and are tasty.
Bookmark this link for “[email protected], what’s for dinner?” moments. And be healthy!
What Is a Healthy Dinner?
What make dinner healthy? Let me just say first and foremost that everyone has their own understanding of “healthy”. What’s healthy for someone on a paleo diet isn’t healthy for a vegan. You know what I mean?! So, let’s be nice to each other and except our differences.
Without Googling the definition “healthy”, here is what I strive to put on my family’s dinner table 80% of the time. Because let’s be honest, there is real life with mall outings, travel and because everyone gets sick and tired of cooking by Friday. Even me!
Our family healthy dinner is:
- Made with real food (my list). All ingredients are simple: grains, meat, veggies and 1-3 ingredient condiments.
- Covers all food groups: protein, carbs and fats.
- Moderate amount of meat because I’m convinced we in North America eat too much of it.
- Always has veggies.
That’s it. I personally think it is quite easy to eat healthy if you do not overthink it.
Now let’s help you to put easy dinner on the table!
45 Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes – Quick Links
I think it’s the best collection of easy dinner recipes on the web.
- Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Tacos and Finger Food
- Healthy Skillets
- Healthy Stir Fry and Curry
- Healthy One Pot Recipes
- Healthy Ground Turkey Recipes
- Healthy Salmon Recipes
Please don’t be shy to share! The more people eat healthy, the lower our medical bill. I’m serious. YOU CAN make a difference. So, share away, share away.
Healthy Chicken Dinners
We eat a lot of chicken. Probably just like you. When buying chicken I usually buy organic because of what it was fed and the way it was raised. Costco is my go-to source for chicken.
I usually serve these simple chicken dishes with a side of quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat or mashed potatoes. And a simple salad like cucumber and tomato salad and lots of lettuce salad. When we are “lazy”, my husband makes a green smoothie.
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Healthy White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Breast with Tomatoes
- Cajun Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Healthy Chicken Fingers
Healthy Tacos and Finger Foods
Kids love anything tacos, quesadillas and burritos. Can’t get away from cheese when making those. I try to use a bit less of quality natural or organic cheese. And load these finger foods with veggies, protein and wrap in whole wheat or corn tortillas. Healthy and easy!
- Chicken Tostadas
- Shrimp Tacos
- Ground Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Quesadilla
- Vegetarian Quesadilla
- Chicken Burritos
Skillets are as forgiving as soups. You throw everything together and can adjust taste as you go. This quick and easy healthy dinner is so hard to screw up. Skillets are great for beginner cooks. And I also love that many can be made low carb with lots of veggies and served with a grain for more hungry people like kids and husbands.
Which skillet is best? I like to use ceramic non-stick PFOA free skillets. Large size with deep edges. Keep in mind, any non-stick coating loses its non-stick qualities after about 6 months. So, it’s not you. So far, I had the most luck with Green Pan.
- Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini
- Chicken, Zucchini and Corn
- Zucchini Noodles with Chicken
- Pesto Turkey and Zucchini Skillet
- Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Healthy Pasta with Tomato and Broccoli
- Sweet Potato Skillet
- Teriyaki Chicken and Cauliflower
- Vegetable Frittata
- Healthy Mushroom Stroganoff
Healthy Stir Fry and Curry
Again, kids love stir fry and most love curry. What makes these curry healthy is canned full fat coconut milk and no store-bought sauces. And I always use super easy homemade stir fry sauce in my stir fries. Again, no bottled stuff with preservatives or complicated ingredients.
Stir fries are loaded with veggies, therefore are so healthy. So serve on its own for low carb meal (for a mom) and with complex carb side for everyone else. Healthy dinner made easy!
- Healthy Chicken Stir Fry
- Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls
- Salmon Stir Fry
- Thai Chicken Curry
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Stir Fry
- Peanut Chicken Soba Noodles
- Healthy Beef Stir Fry
- Healthy Beef and Broccoli
Healthy One Pot and Sheet Pan Dinners
These one pot and sheet pan dinners prove that 30 minute healthy dinner can be flavorful without washing 3 pots. With one pan cooking it’s important to figure out the right combination of foods, so pasta doesn’t get mushy or meat remains not fully cooked. Below, are all tried and true one pot wonders and I’m working on more.
- Quinoa, Chicken and Broccoli
- Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce
- One Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Chicken and Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- One Pot Chili Mac
- Ground Turkey and Broccoli Pasta
- Penne with Broccoli
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Chicken Quinoa Bowls
Healthy Ground Turkey Dinners
It is true that ground turkey can be dry. I love adding shredded zucchini when cooking with ground turkey. Be sure, only juicy turkey recipes are included. I like to serve meatballs with whole wheat spaghetti, and kids squeeze organic ketchup all over them. It’s fine by me. Also that’s Mexican street corn salad in case you are wondering. I truly do not overthink if Mexican goes with Italian. We just eat healthy.:)
Healthy Salmon Dinners
Salmon is a treat because of its price. I truly believe in eating wild salmon vs. farmed. These healthy salmon recipes are ready in under 30 minutes. And again, serve them with a whole grain and a side of veggies instead of salad for a change: corn, asparagus, butternut squash and cauliflower.
Need More Healthy Inspiration in the Kitchen?
- Browse all 30 minute meals.
- 30 healthy Instant Pot recipes – I love my 8 Quart Instant Pot to death. No exaggeration. I truly think pressure cooker saves my life because I throw everything in it and walk away.
- 10 healthy freezer meals – You can cook dinner from frozen in Instant Pot or slow cooker – Watch how I do it.
- 35 healthy breakfast ideas
- 18 healthy one pot meals
- 30 healthy salad recipes
How to make healthy Chicken Tostadas and Homemade Tostada Shells in 20 minutes. SO EASY and GOOD!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 tostadas 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 8 corn tortillas or tostada shells
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 medium avocados, diced
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Lime, juice of
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup feta or Cotija cheese
- Cooking spray
- To make tostada shells, line large baking sheet with silicone mat and arrange tortillas in a single layer. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt on both sides. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes per each side.
- While tostadas are baking, make easy guacamole salsa by combining tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and lime juice. Get other ingredients ready.
- To assemble tostadas, top each shell with guacamole, beans, chicken and cheese.
Store-bought tostadas shells are full of artificial colours and preservatives. I prefer to make my own but you can use pre-made.
Healthy brand of refried beans instead of black beans is welcome
Adjust salt in guacamole to taste depending on whether you use store-bought tostada shells, salted canned beans and store-bought or homemade chicken.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.