These butternut squash noodles were so full of flavour. Just like with my spaghetti squash boats Tex Mex, I used traditional South of the border flavours – taco seasoning, corn, black beans, cilantro, a bit of cheese and avocado.
However, this vegetarian spiralizer recipe is much faster than the boats. I would say this is 15 minute quick dinner. You can add any protein you like. I have to say with salsa and Greek yogurt, I found it very filling.
How to Make Butternut Squash Noodles Tex Mex Style
It was extremely easy to spiralize a squash because it is firm vegetable. The trick is to buy smaller butternut squash, about 1 lb of weight. It is easier to find it straight and attach to a spiralizer.
Peel, cut off the ends and without slicing any further, start spiralizing with top part first (bottom with seeds comes last). Once you get to the bottom with seeds stop when it is impossible to spiralize the squash. Because in smaller squash the pocket with seeds is smaller, I got almost to the bottom thus using almost all squash.
Cook butternut squash “noodles” covered for 8-10 minutes, stirring a few times.
Add taco seasoning and salsa, stir gently. Add black beans, corn and hot peppers, stir gently again. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes.
Serve warm with toppings of choice.
I did love adding organic salsa and Greek yogurt. And I think that is what did the trick with the kids too. Once mixed all together it doesn’t look very appetizing but is a very comforting meal.
I have switched completely to using only full fat yogurt for health benefits. I also buy grass fed one sometimes and after watching Dr.Oz make sure bacteria is the second ingredient.
Butternut Squash Noodles Tex Mex Style
- 3 small butternut squash 1 lb each
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt*
- 1 tsp taco seasoning organic
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 cups corn frozen or fresh
- Hot pepper like jalapeño or serrano to taste
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack any cheese, shredded
- Toppings: Greek yogurt salsa, avocado, cilantro, green onions, for serving (optional)
- Peel and cut off the ends of butternut squash. Without slicing any further start spiralizing with top part first (bottom with seeds comes last). Once you get to the bottom with seeds stop when it is impossible to spiralize. Because in smaller squash the pocket with seeds is smaller, I got almost to the bottom thus using almost all squash.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add butternut squash “noodles”, sprinkle with salt, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add taco seasoning and salsa, stir gently. Add black beans, corn and hot peppers, stir gently again. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Serve warm with toppings of choice.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- *I used my own unsalted cooked beans so you might need to add less salt if using canned.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.