The Best Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Butternut squash soup with warm spices is so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
This healthy butternut squash soup is made with 4 ingredients. The rest is spices which I do not count.
After years and years of healthy cooking, it still blows my mind how real simple food can be delicious. Take my Instant Pot butternut squash soup that has 5 star reviews. I just had to post a stovetop version of it because so many of you have asked.
Anywho. This soup is so creamy, cozy, flavorful and delicious, even squash peeling haters will be willing to try it!
Ingredients You Will Need
To make healthy butternut squash recipe you will need 4 ingredients – onion, squash, coconut milk and broth.
What I think takes this soup to the next level is fresh good quality curry powder. It does wonders to any dish when sauteed with onion. And not only does it add incredible curried flavor, it also adds color.
Then we also add dried ginger and thyme. No need for fresh.
Can I Use Cubed Squash?
I never ate squash as a kid because my mom hates peeling it. I think butternut squash is one of the easiest to peel. See how below.
But you absolutely can use cubed fresh or frozen butternut squash. About 9 cups. Look for fresh in a produce section and be prepared to pay a premium.:)
I think cutting butternut squash is easy because it is straight. Not like acorn squash. I peel it with a sharp vegetable peeler. Then trim the ends and cut in half between chubby and long parts.
Scoop out the seeds from 2 chubby halves and then dice. That’s it.
How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
Start by preheating large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium heat. You want it to be hot-hot-hot. So when you add oil it gets hot right away. And when you add onion it starts cooking right away. Cook onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then add curry powder, thyme, ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. This step will helps spices release maximum flavor (you will smell it right away). And we stir constantly to prevent burning.
Now add butternut squash, coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened. It cooks very fast. Then blend.
Tips on Blending
- I prefer to blend with an immersion blender.
- Go in carefully from top and keep immersion blender at the bottom of the pot. Soup is hot and can cause burns – I had some.
- You can use regular blender.
- I am not a fan of blending soups in regular blender because I despise washing it.
- Traditional blender can also “explode” because soup is hot – keep center lid half open for heat to escape.
Can I Substitute Coconut Milk?
I use full fat canned coconut milk. It makes soup more creamy and adds healthy fats and calories. If you are not a fan of coconut milk, use regular milk or any plant-based milk like almond milk.
For cow’s milk I would recommend fat content of 2% and higher. The more fat, more creamy butternut squash soup. And with plant-based milk, be prepared that your soup will have a hint of flavor of that milk.
Add 1 cup of other milk besides coconut milk before blending and do not cook it.
How to Serve and Store
I am frankly happy our kids do not like butternut squash. I make a batch and it lasts me and Alex 2 work week lunches. Quick soup is the best easy healthy lunch.
Serve hot. Spoon rich velvety soup on the sides. This way you will get warmed through without burning your mouth. Serve with toasted whole wheat naan bread or just bread. I added drops of yogurt for the photos but you can for real life.
Butternut squash soup refrigerates well for up to 5 days. It also freezes amazingly. Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Healthy broccoli cheese soup
- Healthy chicken wild rice soup
- Healthy tomato soup
- Healthy cauliflower soup
- Browse all healthy soups and stew
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
The Best Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients in 30 minutes. Squash soup with warm spices is so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup and Stew
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: North American
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2″ cubes (9 cups)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 15 oz can coconut milk, full fat
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 tbsp oil, for frying
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp ginger, dried
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium heat and add oil. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry powder, thyme, ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash, coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth and silky.
- Serve hot with whole grain toast, a bit of plain yogurt and maybe pumpkin seeds.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
You can substitute coconut milk with regular or almond milk but do not add it to cook. Instead add 1 cup before pureeing.
For broth, I use organic vegetable bouillon cubes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.