Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients, in one pot and in 30 minutes. The creamy goodness and warm spices are so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
This healthy butternut squash soup is made with 4 simple ingredients and a few key spices. It still blows my mind how real food can be so easy to make. For instance, take reader favorite Instant Pot butternut squash soup recipe. I just had to post a stovetop version of it!
My butternut soup is so creamy, cozy, flavorful and delicious! It has a sweetness of honey butternut squash, a kick of the shrimp butternut squash curry and ease and convenience of slow cooker butternut squash soup. A win-win!
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash: You can use cubed fresh or frozen butternut squash. Or buy a whole butternut squash. It is easy to peel with a sharp vegetable peeler. Then you trim the ends, cut in half horizontally, scoop out the seeds from the 2 chubby halves and dice. That’s it!
- Onion and Spices: What I think takes this soup to the next level is fresh good quality curry powder. It does wonders to any dish when sauteed with onion and adds an incredible orange color. Then add dried ginger and thyme.
- Coconut Milk: I use full fat canned coconut milk. It makes soups like sun dried tomato soup creamier and adds healthy fats and calories. If you are not a fan of coconut milk, use regular milk (2% or higher) or any plant-based milk like almond milk.
- Broth: I recommend low sodium (of course) vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon cubes.
How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium heat. You want it to be hot-hot-hot. So when you add oil it gets hot right away.
- Add onion: Cook onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add seasonings: Add curry powder, thyme, ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. This step allows the spices to release maximum flavor.
- Add remaining ingredients: Now add butternut squash, coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened. It cooks very fast.
- Blend soup:I prefer to blend with an immersion blender. Make sure to keep the blender at the bottom of the pot. You can also use a regular blender, but be aware that it can “explode” from the hot soup. Keep the centre lid half open so the heat can escape.
How to Serve, Store and Reheat Butternut Squash Soup
Store: Butternut squash soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. To reheat simply simmer on low while covered (it splatters a lot).
Freeze: Butternut squash soup freezes amazingly. Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
More Squash Recipes
- Baked butternut squash
- Chicken alfredo spaghetti squash
- Butternut squash noodles
- Squash casserole
- Squash mac and cheese
And if you need more soup inspiration, browse slow cooker soup recipes.
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 lbs butternut squash peeled and cut into 2" cubes (9 cups)
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 15 oz can coconut milk full fat
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1/4 tsp ginger dried
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven on medium heat and add oil. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry powder, thyme, ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash, coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth and silky.
- Serve hot with whole grain toast, a bit of plain yogurt and maybe pumpkin seeds.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
- You can substitute coconut milk with regular or almond milk but do not add it to cook. Instead add 1 cup before pureeing.
- For broth, I use organic vegetable bouillon cubes.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.