50 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes is a collection of classic holiday dishes you know, love and that are good for you. Turkey, veggie side dishes, salads, dessert and make ahead breakfast.
Eating healthy on Thanksgiving day is possible. In fact, it is easier than you think. If you know me, you know I believe in eating real whole foods.
Here I have compiled an array of your favorite classics you grew up eating every Thanksgiving. Just made more healthy. 🙂 From turkey to mashed potatoes to even a pumpkin pie, you can truly enjoy a holiday without feeling guilty the next day.
All the recipes are broken down into sections for easy use. Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!
Healthy Appetizers and Soups
This section is small because I want you to save room for the good stuff.:)
This Healthy Spinach Dip Recipe is made with yogurt, twice more spinach and four times less mayo. The result is the same creamy and flavorful spinach dip you know. It is a super easy appetizer that tastes incredible without the extra calories.
2 Ingredients Parmesan Mushrooms are baby bella mushroom caps stuffed with Parmesan cheese. Healthy and easy mushroom appetizer in 15 minutes!
My friend Dina from Simply Home Cooked has this amazing tutorial on How to Make a Charcuterie Board. You can make it as healthy as you want. Doesn’t this look amazing?!
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup (or make in your Instant Pot or slow cooker)
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with simple ingredients, in one pot and in 30 minutes. The creamy goodness and warm spices are so comforting on a chilly fall or winter day.
Make Ahead Breakfast
Make ahead breakfast for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning is where it’s at! Spend time cozying up with your family while your “prepared the day before” breakfast is bubbling in the oven.
These Healthy Cinnamon Rolls are fluffy wholesome buns with healthy frosting and 4 times less sugar than Cinnabon.
Make this Quinoa Breakfast Bake Recipe with berries for a week of healthy and easy breakfasts or for a holiday morning. Serve warm with creamy yogurt and come back to thank me after.
This Healthy Breakfast Casserole is delicious, easy and has no bread. Make ahead for a crowd, meal prep or clean out the fridge. This egg bake is veggie, protein and flavor packed.
Sweet Potato Egg Casserole with shredded sweet potato, eggs and spinach. Make ahead healthy egg casserole perfect for meal prep breakfast, brunch and holidays.
Turkey, Chicken and Meat
Turkey is not the only star of the show. We take more lean turkey and chicken breasts and make them juicy and flavorful. Don’t feel like poultry? Make lamb or salmon.
Serve this juicy Boneless Turkey Breast Roast for Holidays instead of a turkey. Herb crusted and stuffed with garlic it is a winner every time! Or enjoy as a healthy sandwich meat year round.
Roasted Turkey Breast comes out incredibly juicy inside, with crispy skin and flavorful with simple ingredients like garlic and dried herbs. It is perfect for small gatherings during Thanksgiving and Holidays.
Chicken Stuffed with Brie, Spinach and Cranberries makes clean and simple dinner or a fancy chicken recipe for any occasion. Moist, flavourful and juicy.
How to cook perfect boneless leg of lamb roast every time. Basic EASY recipe anyone can make!
Easy Baked Salmon in Foil with simple seasonings in 20 minutes. Healthy, moist and delicious dinner even picky eaters will enjoy.
Nothing screams fall like Stuffed Acorn Squash with ground turkey, spinach and the perfect blend of spices. This recipe looks so fancy but so easy to make. And tastes even better!
Healthy Cranberry Sauce with 3 simple ingredients and refined sugar is not one of them. Easy and tasty cranberry sauce from scratch. Perfect addition to your Thanksgiving turkey with gravy and mashed potatoes.
Healthy Veggie Sides
When it comes to mashing, roasting and sauteing vegetables, mashed potatoes are just the beginning. I like my veggies not overcooked, with a lot of flavor and yet healthy. This is where we exercise moderation. Did I mention bacon? 🙂
The Best Healthy Mashed Potatoes my Ukrainian way. Creamy, fluffy and delicious without 2 sticks of butter.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is easy and delicious low carb alternative to traditional mashed potatoes, but just as smooth and creamy.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes are unbelievably fluffy, creamy, healthy and so easy to make. Delicious side dish for a weeknight dinner or a holiday table. These are so good!
Garlic Green Beans not only taste incredible, but are super easy to make. Fresh green beans, butter/olive oil and garlic sauteed in a skillet make for the perfect healthy side dish year round or for your holiday table.
Roasted Cauliflower is made with garlic and olive oil, then baked until nutty and caramelized. It is such a simple way to make flavorful cauliflower.
Super simple Roasted Brussels Sprouts are baked until they are crispy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside. This is a delicious and easy fall side dish that will help you eat more vegetables.
Cauliflower Risotto with brown mushrooms and cauliflower rice sautéed in flavourful broth in 15 minutes. Hearty and healthy low carb dinner with amazing reviews.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with simple warm spices, soft inside and crispy outside are perfect as a side dish, in a wrap or salad. These sweet potatoes cubes melt in your mouth and satisfy a serious savory craving in a healthy way.
Perfect Roasted Asparagus every time plus tips on how to store, prep, roast and season this healthy side dish. You will never have to eat limpy and mushy asparagus again.
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with bacon, pecans, garlic and maple syrup make healthy finger licking side dish. On Thanksgiving or a busy weeknight, brussels sprouts come to the rescue as they are easy and quick to cook.
Delicious and healthy Thanksgiving casseroles can be made without canned soups, marshmallows and dehydrated packet mixes.
Healthy Green Bean Casserole made from scratch with Parmesan pecan onion topping. Low calorie, low sodium and light healthy alternative without mushroom soup or breadcrumbs.
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole with crunchy pecan sugar topping is melt in your mouth, delicious and comforting casserole for your Holiday table without the guilt. Bonus – can be made ahead and frozen. You’re welcome!
Healthy Mac and Cheese in one pot in 15 minutes. Creamy, cheesy and flavorful and as healthy as it gets. No weird ingredients because life is short, friends.
I love a good salad! However, the last thing you need is a complicated salad recipe on a busy Thanksgiving day. Most of these salads can be made ahead and do not contain many ingredients or have blender made salad dressings.
Creamy Mexican Kale Salad with raw kale, black beans, corn, cilantro and creamy cumin flavoured avocado dressing.
Brussels Sprouts Salad with thinly sliced brussels sprouts, toasted almonds, real Parmesan cheese shavings and easy lemon garlic dressing.
Spinach Salad with eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds and easy healthy salad dressing. Simple recipe for a weeknight or a celebration table. I promise it is one of the easiest salads you will ever make!
Arugula Beet Salad with zesty greens, simple candied pecans, crumbled feta and easy balsamic dressing. If you are looking for an easy way to eat more beets, this beet salad recipe is the one. It will win you over, even if you don’t love beets!
Cozy Kale and Quinoa Salad with apples, walnuts and cinnamon dressing. Superfood fall in a bowl tasty any day!
The Best Broccoli Salad combines fresh broccoli, crispy bacon, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, shredded cheese and creamy dressing. This easy salad is the best of both worlds – healthier and flavorful.
This Cauliflower Potato Salad is low carb salad with a lot of flavor. It will blow your mind. It’s just brilliant!
Flavorful and easy (no massaging) Lemon Kale Salad with toasted nuts and fresh Parmesan cheese, tossed in lemon and garlic dressing. Hands down, one of my favorite leafy green salads ever!
Instant Pot Recipes
Are you a lucky Instant Pot owner? If yes, electric pressure cooker can save you precious stove and oven space on a busy Thanksgiving day. And food comes out just as delicious with minimal prep. Instant pot is way faster, but just as convenient as using a slow cooker.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole is fluffy souffle topped with delicious and crunchy candied pecan topping. Made from start to finish in your electric pressure cooker. So convenient on a busy Thanksgiving day!
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes come out fork tender, perfectly fluffy in your pressure cooker in half the time. This is foolproof recipe for any size of potatoes.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are easy, creamy and fluffy in 30 minutes in one pot. No drain, no cutting potatoes into small chunks and no heating up milk separately. Simply the best way to make mashed potatoes!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast is super juicy, ready in an hour and even gravy is made in same pot. Saves time, money and feeds a small gathering. It’s perfect!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is creamy, mouthwatering and hands off family comfort food. Made healthy-ish with only 1 cup of cheese and any kind of noodles, this pasta dinner recipe is ready in 15 minutes.
We are huge on desserts, but what would a holiday be without a little treat?! Here are some of our healthier Thanksgiving favorites.
This Healthy Pumpkin Cake is the best version of a classic fall dessert. Topped with a luscious yogurt cream cheese frosting, it is moist, decadent, and packed with hidden nutrients!
Healthy Pumpkin Pie with easy whole wheat crust and silky smooth pumpkin pie filling. A delicious low sugar addition to your healthy Thanksgiving table.
Healthy Carrot Cake with whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt, toasted coconut and walnuts. This cake is moist, tall, has texture and thick creamy frosting. It is absolutely delicious!
This No Bake Peanut Butter Pie is smooth, creamy and healthy. Made without cream cheese, cool whip or graham crust, watch it disappear at any gathering. It is that good!
Healthy Pumpkin Bars with oatmeal, almond flour and chocolate chips. A delicious guilt free treat on a chilly fall day that the entire family will love!
This No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake is fluffy, full of strawberry flavour and lighter. Easy to make with fresh or frozen strawberries and Nutella crust, this is the perfect cake for any celebration.
Growing up in the Ukraine, I was taught not to waste food. That includes a turkey carcass or leftover turkey meat. So, here are a few ideas for your turkey carcass.
This Turkey Tetrazzini is an easy way to enjoy leftover turkey. To make this traditional casserole healthy, we load it up with veggies and lighten up the sauce. And everything cooks in one pot because last thing you want to do is dirty 3 more pots after the Holidays.
My family’s Instant Pot Bone Broth Recipe we made for centuries in Ukraine. Full of collagen, budget friendly and ready in 2.5 hours instead of 24 hours.
Ukrainian Buckwheat Soup Recipe with soup bones, vegetables and roasted buckwheat. Healthy, wholesome and delicious soup that makes enough for leftovers.
Turkey Noodle Soup is the answer to leftover roasted turkey. Its broth is so healing and delicious, once combined with simple veggies and pasta your family will devour it in minutes.
50 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes: Boneless Turkey Breast Roast
Boneless Turkey Roast
- 3 lbs fresh boneless turkey roast in casing
- 3 large garlic cloves cut into matchsticks
- 3 large rosemary sprigs leaves removed and minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
Easy Pan Gravy (Optional)
- 2 cups water ow low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
Boneless Turkey Roast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium roasting pan or Dutch oven, place turkey roast and make 10-15 inserts with a paring knife. Stick garlic slice into each one until you run out of garlic.
- Rub roast with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper all around. Taking small handfuls of rosemary pat it onto the roast, then sprinkle some. The goal is to coat the roast in herbs.
- Bake uncovered for 90 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Internal temperature will reach 170 degrees F and juices settle.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the casing and slice. Serve warm at a Holiday table, cold as an appy or use in sandwiches instead of deli meat.
Easy Pan Gravy (Optional)
- Place roasting pan with juices from cooking turkey roast on medium heat.
- Scrape and shake rosemary and burnt on pieces from removed casing into the pot. There is a lot of flavor. Discard the casing.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes and whisk to scrape the walls. Again lots of flavor in there.
- Add white wine, butter, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add a bit of gravy from the pot and cornstarch. Whisk well with a fork, pour back into the pot and whisk until gravy starts boiling.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened a bit. Serve with a turkey roast.
- Boneless turkey roast: This recipe calls for fresh boneless skinless turkey roast. If you have a frozen one, thaw it first.
- Fresh rosemary: I love using dried herbs for soups and stews. For herb roasted turkey roast I highly recommend to buy fresh rosemary. I understand it is extra hassle. I am all for shortcuts but Holidays and roasts call for fresh herbs. You can freeze leftover fresh chopped rosemary and use later.
- Garlic: There is really no substitute for garlic, which has a very distinctive flavor. if you are allergic to garlic, maybe bake with a bit of lemon juice and zest. And/or sprinkle with fresh chives after.
- Olive oil: Can also use avocado or grapeseed oil. I do not recommend to use melted butter because it will solidify as soon as you brush it on cold meat and herbs will not stick.
- Bone in roast: If you want to cook turkey breast with bone in, check out this roasted turkey breast recipe.
- Don't remove the casing before cooking: Under any circumstances please don't. Casing is holding pieces of meat together. If you remove it, meat will fall apart. Do not worry, we will season it inside. It will come out juicy and delicious.
- Bake roast uncovered: If you cover it, meat will steam instead of roasting.
- Extra large roast 5-10 lbs: Cook for 30 minutes per lb but check with thermometer 30 minutes before calculated total time. Just to avoid overcooking as oven gets hotter with time.
- Turkey roast beyond the Holidays: If you are looking at this recipe and it's not Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, please know you can still cook the roast. And use instead of deli meat. Healthy sandwich meat! Summer picnics, school and work lunches, appetizers board. Heck, yeah!!!
- Storing leftovers: Refrigerate roast whole or sliced in an airtight container for up to a week. It tastes so good cold. And warm with gravy. This recipe is so versatile!
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.