This Healthy Breakfast Casserole is delicious, easy and is made without bread. This healthy egg bake is low carb, perfect for meal prep or when you need to feed a large crowd during the holidays.
Table of contents
Healthy breakfast casserole with diced potatoes, any meat and bell peppers. Sprinkled with red onion and cheese this egg bake is fluffy, full of great flavor and a true crowd pleaser.
It is perfect for family gatherings and large groups of people.
We all loved this healthy breakfast casserole recipe! And because I test recipes all the time, we ate casserole not only for breakfast but for after school snack and dinner, too.
You will not miss the hashbrowns because I added diced potatoes. And if you add bacon to it, you are in heaven. Use what you have on hand for this easy egg casserole recipe. Don’t skip the red onion!
Having said all of the above, I now have a with freshly grated potatoes, olives and green bell pepper. Kids call it “breakfast pizza”, it’s that good!
Raw diced potatoes soak up the flavors of egg mixture during baking. You know what else I tried in this casserole? Leftover pressure cooker mashed potatoes. Oh my goodness, explosion of flavor.
Why You Will Love This Egg Casserole
- Egg bake made healthy by using fresh vegetables, potatoes, eggs and cheese. No need to use pre-made hash browns or bread. Also, gluten free.
- Meal prep and freezer friendly! Perfect for busy mornings, Christmas morning breakfast and more.
- Versatile: You can use fresh veggies and meat you have on hand. It’s a great way to clean out the fridge without food waste.
- Hearty ingredients will keep you full all morning long!
Ingredients and Notes
This clean out the fridge healthy breakfast casserole is filled with hearty potatoes, crispy veggies and protein of choice that will become an instant hit with your whole family!
- Large eggs: Main ingredient here. Use egg whites if preferred but note it may lack the rich taste egg casseroles are famously known for.
- Potatoes: You will be amazing at how 4 small potatoes soak up all the delicious tastes in this healthy breakfast casserole! Any color of potato works – red, russet, Yukon etc.
- Bell peppers: Adds some crunch and Vitamin A & C. Use green bell pepper for earthier taste and colored pepper for sweeter taste. I like a combination of green pepper and red bell pepper.
- Red onion: While you can use white onion or yellow onion for this egg , red onion adds a milder taste without overpowering the rest of the breakfast dish.
- Meat: Use what you have on hand! I have used turkey sausage, chicken sausage, Italian sausage, leftover cooked turkey and cooked lean ground beef, and all have turned out great. Ham or bacon would also work. I have not tried vegetarian breakfast meats or beans, but if you do, let us know in the comments.
- Milk: Any will work. I used almond milk.
- Cheese: Again your choice based on tastes. Sharp cheddar cheese, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepper jack or use a combination etc.
- Seasonings: Very simple with just salt, fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder.
How to Make Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- Spread chopped veggies and meat in a sprayed with Misto 9 x 13 baking dish. Make sure every bite gets a bit of everything. Shallow dish is fine as this healthy egg bake doesn’t rise much.
- Whisk egg mixture in a large mixing bowl and pour on top filling. We are just layering flavors to make this a layered egg casserole breakfast dish.
- Sprinkle diced red onion and grated cheese on top of the casserole. This is the best part. I swear I was blown away by mild and half raw purple morsels of flavor.
- Bake for 40 minutes in preheated 350 degrees F oven.
Optional Add-In’s and Variations
- You can use all egg whites. 12 eggs = 3 cups egg whites. Substitute any amount with a ratio of 1 large egg + 1/4 cup egg whites. Not sure about flavor but it depends on your taste buds and your desire for macros.
- For meat, you can use chopped bacon, sauteed or fresh. Cooked ground turkey, ground chicken or lean ground beef would work as well.
- Replace or add some of bell pepper with up to 1 cup of sliced mushrooms. Brown mushrooms have more flavor.
- Use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. No need to peel.
- Add a few handfuls of green vegetables like spinach, kale or swiss chard to the egg mixture.
- Make spicy by adding hot sauce or red pepper flakes to an egg mixture.
- Add a can of diced green chiles for Mexican casserole.
Tips for Best Results
- If making this healthy breakfast bake recipe ahead, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking for the casserole to come to room temperature.
- Sautéing potatoes and vegetables slightly before baking could help if you find your casserole is runny.
- Let your casserole sit for 10 minutes after baking, this helps your healthy egg casserole firm up in the middle.
- Use the correct size dish to ensure your casserole is cooked through in correct amount of time.
For busy weeks, an applesauce makes a great pairing for a savory breakfast casserole.
If you are making this breakfast egg bake for holiday brunches, you may want to serve with healthy strawberry muffins or make a full spread with the following choices:
- Pancakes with almond flour
- Fresh fruit salad
- Healthy blueberry muffins
- Spinach strawberry salad
- Healthy banana bread muffins
Making Egg Bake in Advance
Breakfast casserole is the best for leftovers. It stays fresh for days and can be frozen for months.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Anything with eggs like egg bites is perfect for meal prep.
Freeze leftovers (already cooked) for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter for 4-5 hours or in the fridge overnight. Reheat individual servings in a microwave or toaster oven for time that works with your appliances. They all differ. Bake in regular oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Make ahead is the best feature of this casserole. Refrigerate assembled and covered with plastic wrap casserole for up to 2 days. 2 days, guys!!! Bake as per recipe directly from the fridge.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is just barely jiggly.
This egg bake is done when the top is set and edges are browned. Top will not be golden. Also egg casserole is ready when knife inserted near the center comes out clean. However, make sure you are not sticking it into melted cheese area.
Yes, regular hash browns or sweet potato hash browns should work, although we have not tested this recipe with either of those. If grating your own potatoes make sure to give them a good squeeze to remove excess water.
Yes, it may lack the rich flavor of a traditional egg casserole, though. See recipe card notes for quantity of egg whites to use.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy french toast casserole
- Crustless broccoli quiche
- Quinoa breakfast bake
- Easy vegetable frittata
- Hashbrown breakfast casserole recipe
You may also love to browse all my healthy egg recipes!
Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- 3 sausage links or 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken diced
- 4 small potatoes cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper cubed
- 1 small green bell pepper cubed
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk I used almond milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup any cheese shredded
- Cooking spray I use Misto
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add sausage, potatoes and bell peppers into the dish spreading evenly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper and whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies. Sprinkle with red onion and cheese. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cut into 8 slices and enjoy warm or cold.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter for 4-5 hours or in the fridge overnight. Reheat in a microwave, toaster oven or bake in regular oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Make ahead: Refrigerate casserole assembled and covered with plastic wrap for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature on a counter for 30 minutes and bake as per recipe directly from the fridge. It may require extra 10-15 minutes cook time.
- You can use all egg whites. 12 eggs = 3 cups.