Simply the best Easy Spinach Salad recipe with eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds, and a healthy salad dressing. Quick to prepare, customizable, and is the perfect side salad to any meal!
Table of contents
I have the best simple spinach salad recipe for you! Twelve years ago we used to live in Calgary and I was a brand new mom. One night, a friend invited us over for dinner. Part of dinner was this salad.
She tossed it with the dressing in a garbage bag! Not environmentally friendly choice but every spinach leaf got coated in delicious easy dressing.
Simple Spinach Salad Ingredients
You can actually add whatever you want but here is the basic guideline of what I use because I always have these simple ingredients on hand.
- Baby spinach: The leaves are more tender, flavorful and honestly just fit on your fork better.
- Grape tomatoes: Add a burst color and juicy flavor.
- Cucumber: I love mini cucumbers for taste, but an English or even summer garden cucumber works.
- Mushrooms: Sliced small button mushrooms add some great texture.
- Hard boiled eggs: Add protein and that egg yolk is so creamy!
- Sesame seeds: Crunch with nutty flavor.
- Healthy dressing: An easy dressing with extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. You can substitute the apple cider vinegar with lemon juice.
How to Make Spinach Salad
The beauty of this salad is it’s a cinch to whip up with only a little prep work!
Toasted sesame seeds: I love to quickly toast my sesame seeds in a small skillet on the stove. You can opt not to toast your seeds, but they do add another layer of flavor.
Place ingredients in bowl: Fill large salad bowl with spinach, then add eggs, mushrooms, cucumbers and tomatoes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds last.
Make dressing: In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients. Shake until well mixed. Then pour dressing over salad, use as much or as little as you like.
Toss salad: Toss salad gently. I like to start with a small amount of dressing and then add more as needed while tossing.
Serve immediately: This salad is best fresh right after you toss the spinach with the dressing.
This salad is so flexible! Feel like sprucing it up? Here are a few ideas!
- Make it a main dish with the addition of grilled chicken breast or browse these 65 healthy chicken recipes.
- Add red onion for a burst of pungent flavor with sweet mild undertones.
- Toss the salad with freshly crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese, or grated parmesan.
- Learn how to cut an avocado and add some on top because is there ever a wrong time to add avocado?!
- Add chopped apples with dried cranberries in the fall.
- During summer pair with this marinade for grilled vegetables and pile your salad high with veg!
- Skip the sesame seeds and add toasted walnuts, pecans or sourdough croutons.
- Use a different dressing like one of these healthy homemade salad dressings.
- Prepared and chopped bacon would add a salty and savory addition.
What To Serve With This Salad?
The beauty of this salad is it’s just as good for a weeknight dinner as it is a holiday dinner! You can serve it with a variety of meal ideas.
During the holidays serve with sirloin tip roast.
Can You Prep This Ahead of Time?
Once tossed, it is best to enjoy salad the same day. Fresh spinach wilts extremely fast.
To make ahead for meal prep or busy holidays, refrigerate all salad ingredients in a bowl covered with plastic separately from the dressing for up to 2 days. Dressing lasts for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
What if dressing solidifies in the fridge? Olive oil hardens when refrigerated. Just place the jar with the dressing in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes or so. Always shake dressing before adding to salad.
More Spinach Recipes to Try
- Spinach stuffed chicken breast
- Crustless spinach quiche
- Healthy cobb salad
- Spinach artichoke quinoa casserole
- Lentil spinach soup
You may also love to browse 52 healthy salad recipes for more inspiration!
Easy Spinach Salad
- 11 oz box of organic baby spinach pre-washed
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 long English cucumber sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- In a large salad bowl, add spinach, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms and sesame seeds.
- In a small Mason jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. Screw on lid tight and shake until well mixed.
- Pour dressing over salad before serving and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead: Refrigerate salad ingredients separately from the dressing covered with plastic for up to 2 days.
- Dressing in a jar can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Place in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes to warm up, then shake.
- Cheese: Add fresh feta, goat cheese or parmesan.
- Onion: Add chopped red onion or green onion.
- Lemon juice or red wine vinegar are a good substitute for apple cider vinegar.
- Nuts: Toasted almonds or walnuts add additional crunch.