Perfect Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash is easy to make in 30 minutes! Top these low carb noodles with your favorite pasta sauce or use them as a simple side dish.
Table of contents
- Why You Will Love Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- How to Pick Spaghetti Squash
- How to Prepare It
- Ingredients You Will Need
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in Air Fryer
- What If It Does Not Fit?
- How to Cook Whole Spaghetti Squash in Air Fryer?
- How Long Does Spaghetti Squash Last?
- Other FAQs
- More Vegetable Air Fryer Recipes
Skip the oven and make spaghetti squash in the air fryer instead! It’s still roasted to perfection but ready in slightly less time.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Health benefits: It contains vitamin C, plus it’s low in calories, yet full of fiber, making it a filling choice to serve at dinner.
- Versatile: Unlike sweeter squashes like butternut squash, its neutral flavor is perfect for topping with your favorite sauce like pesto, marinara sauce or healthy alfredo sauce.
- Easy to make: Only 10 minutes prep, then into the air fryer it goes!
- Pasta swap: Substitute your starchy noodles for these low-carb diet friendly veggie noodles.
- Meal prep: An average squash will yield around 4 cups spaghetti noodles! Perfect for making ahead and reheating during the week.
How to Pick Spaghetti Squash
Before making this easy recipe you must know what type of squash you are picking out on your next supermarket trip! Among all the varieties of winter squashes, here is what to look for:
- The stem: It should be intact, firm and dry.
- The shell: It should be free of any soft spots or cracks and feel firm to the touch when handled.
- The weight: A ripe squash will feel heavy, pick one up for good measure.
- The color: Ripened spaghetti squash should be bright yellow or dark yellow, not pale and without any green spots.
- Most importantly, it needs to be the right size! Aim for one that is around 2 lbs, use the produce scale at the grocery store if needed.
How to Prepare It
Next, you will need to prepare your squash for air frying. I have a detailed post on how to cut spaghetti squash, but will go over the most popular method here.
- On a stable surface such as cutting board and using a sharp knife, insert the tip into the middle of the squash lengthwise and gently push it down. Remove the knife and make another small incision.
- Turn squash over and repeat on the other side. At this point your squash should easily crack apart into two separate halves.
- Remove seeds and stringy areas from the flesh with a large spoon or even a melon baller.
Want to avoid cutting altogether? I get it, spaghetti squash can be tough to cut. See my directions on how to cook spaghetti squash whole.
Ingredients You Will Need
You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this delicious side dish!
- Spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in Air Fryer
Slice it, then bake it! It really couldn’t be any easier for this perfect spaghetti squash in air fryer recipe.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- First, wash, dry and cut squash. Place in the air fryer open side up. Brush inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until fork tender but not soggy. Cooking time will depend on the size of your squash, air fryer and vary from squash to squash.
- Remove onto a platter, cool for 5 minutes, separate and fluff up the strands with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil then enjoy!
Save your seeds from air fried spaghetti squash and roast them just like pumpkin seeds. Here is how to air fry pumpkin seeds!
What If It Does Not Fit?
No problem! Depending on the size of your air fryer, there is a solution so you can still enjoy this delicious recipe.
- Trim the ends down: Shave each end slightly until you achieve a snug fit in the air fryer basket. Proceed with air fryer spaghetti squash recipe as directed.
- Cook just one half of the squash: Just place the other half in a storage container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
How to Cook Whole Spaghetti Squash in Air Fryer?
If you are short on time, or prefer not to cut through the squash, here is how to make whole spaghetti squash in the air fryer!
Keep in mind this method only works if your spaghetti squash is smaller in size or you have a large air fryer with a tall basket.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F and poke about 10-15 holes in the skin of the squash with a sharp knife.
- Air fry spaghetti squash for 40 minutes, or until the skin easily pierces with a fork.
- When done, carefully remove with oven mitts and set aside to cool. Cut in half lengthwise, remove seeds, separate spaghetti strands, season and enjoy! Save your seeds and roast them just like pumpkin seeds.
How Long Does Spaghetti Squash Last?
You can store uncooked spaghetti squash in a cool dry place for a few months. During peak season in the fall it is a great time to stock up, so you always have some for healthy recipes.
After cooking, cool to room temperature then store leftover spaghetti squash in an airtight container for 3 days. Freeze up to 3 months, texture may change upon thawing from excess moisture.
Reheat leftovers in the air fryer for a few minutes and enjoy!
I test all my recipes in my large Cosori 5.8QT air fryer. Any make or model of air fryer should work!
Cooking spaghetti squash in air fryer takes about 30 minutes at 360 degrees F. Keep in mind that if your air fryer is smaller, your squash my cook quicker. Best way is to start checking at 15 minutes for doneness.
Air fryer spaghetti squash is done when its flesh can be easily separated with a fork. Also its skin looks glossy and more bright orange and you can easily pierce it with a knife.
Not to worry, you can also bake spaghetti squash in the oven. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, cut and clean your squash halves, then season as per recipe. Place cut side down and bake for 40 minutes or until flesh is fork tender.
Once you seperate the long strands, try to add different sauce, toppings or fillings to it. Saute onions, mushrooms and bell peppers and mix with it. Or mix with canned black beans and corn, top with guacamole and crushed tortilla chips for a taco bowl.
Swap regular spaghetti for these “noodles” with jarred marinara sauce, sprinkle with mozzarella and air fry until cheese has melted or try homemade meat sauce! Make a spaghetti squash casserole.
Or serve like pictured, with Parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper air fried until cheese has melted and topped with fresh herbs like basil.
More Vegetable Air Fryer Recipes
- Air fryer asparagus
- Air fryer cauliflower
- Air fryer Brussels sprouts
- Air fryer buffalo cauliflower
- Air fryer broccoli
- Air fryer hard boiled eggs
Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Wash and dry squash. Cut in two halves lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place in the air fryer cut side up. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until fork tender but not soggy. Time will depend on the size of your squash, air fryer and from squash to squash.
- Remove onto a platter, cool for 5 minutes, separate and fluff up the strands with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil, if you wish, and enjoy!
- Store: In an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Before cooking, making sure your squash fits into your air fryer.
- You can roast the seeds like pumpkin seeds.
- Top “noodles” with jarred marinara sauce, sprinkle with mozzarella and air fry until cheese has melted.