Learn to make the best Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs without any boiling water. This hands free method delivers perfectly cooked and easy to peel eggs every time!
Table of contents
I could eat air fryer hard boiled eggs every day. Chopped up in spinach salad for lunch, used in cauliflower potato salad at dinner, and a holiday spread isn’t complete without Greek yogurt deviled eggs! Even serving with spaghetti squash breakfast boats at brunch!
Eggs are high in protein and Omega 3s, and as you can tell by my list of quick and easy healthy breakfast ideas, so versatile!
Pop them in the basket, set the timer, and walk away. No water needed and completely hands free! Once they’re cooked, easy peel eggs can be eaten on their own, used in recipes, or kept in the fridge for snacking.
Grab a pen, you’re going to want to write this list of ingredients down 😉
- Eggs: As you know, I always opt for free range or free run organic. If that’s not what you have, it’s all good! Use what you have. As long as you can fit them in a single layer in the basket, it doesn’t matter the size.
Brown vs. white eggs. There is also no real difference in quality or nutritional value between white or brown eggs. That color is determined by the breed of hen, so use what you’ve got!
How to Make Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
Ok friends, here’s the scoop. Not all appliances are created equal. Some people have experienced issues where they decide to air fry an entire batch that don’t quite turn out as they’d expect. I know this recipe works in mine, but if you’re not sure about yours, test 1 or 2 eggs first.
Preheat the air fryer to 250 degrees F. Once the timer beeps, place the eggs in a single layer in the basket. There is no need for oil or spray or water.
Air fry for 17 minutes. In the meantime, prepare a bowl with an ice bath.
Once cooked, remove them from the basket and transfer them immediately to the ice bath.
Be careful they’re HOT! Do not try and remove the eggs from the basket with your hands. Use tongs to avoid touching them.
An ice bath shocks them and forces them to stop cooking. Allow them to sit and chill out for 10 minutes.
Once no longer hot to the touch, grab one at a time, give it a gentle tap and slowly peel away at the shell.
Tips for Making Perfect Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Test your eggs. If you have a different air fryer than I do, test 1 or 2 at first. This way you don’t waste an entire carton!
- Fresh eggs. Fresher eggs are generally harder to peel, however with the air fryer they seem to always be easy to peel!
- Easy peel. If you have cracked it so that there are many small shell pieces, take a spoon, flip it over and gently slide it in between the egg white and the peel. It should help remove larger pieces.
- Adjust the cooking time if they’re are not cooked the way you like them.
- For soft boiled eggs, lower the cooking time by a few minutes. Give or take depending on your make and model. Again, you’ll have to play around with it to know for sure.
How Do I Use Hard Boiled Eggs?
- As a snack: Enjoy on its own as a high protein snack.
- Seasoning: A sprinkle of salt and pepper, everything bagel seasoning, or paprika is a delicious finishing touch.
- Salads: Tuna egg salad or try this avocado egg salad.
- Deviled eggs: Everyone’s favorite appetizer!
- Asian dish: A popular addition, serve along with Korean ground beef and rice bowls.
- Add to Tex Mex sweet potato skillet for a hash style dish.
- Snack platter: Use on any of these charcuterie board ideas with deli meats, cheeses, olives, pickles, you name it!
How Long Are These Eggs Good For?
If you’re making the whole dozen and you know you’re not going to use them all, don’t peel all of them. The shells keep them fresher for longer, up to 7 days in the fridge uncovered.
If you do peel them, they’ll need to be covered in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for no more than 3 days.
Refrigerate within 2 hours to keep them fresh.
Try and aim for 10-12 minutes. Again, this is another situation where you might want to test 1 or 2 before doing the entire batch.
No. We’re not heating them in high heat, so there is no rapid change in temperature. It’s a slower heat over 17 minutes. If you’re worried, you can let your eggs sit at room temperature beforehand so they’re not super cold going in.
For hard boiled, you want to cook them for 17 minutes at 250 degrees. For soft boiled, drop that down to about 13-14 minutes, depending on your air fryer. If you are using higher heat, for example, 300 degrees, set the air fryer for about 12 minutes.
I don’t recommend freezing them whole. The texture of the egg whites becomes unpleasant and rubbery.
What I do recommend is to remove the yolks and freeze those on their own. To keep them from freezing in a clump, flash freeze them on a tray first. Then, transfer them to a freezer friendly bag and keep them frozen for up to 3 months.
Technically no. You can allow them to cool on their own. The ice water bath shocks them into no longer cooking, so if you allow them to cool on their own, there is a higher chance of overcooking and forming that grey coating around the yolk. It’s not harmful, just not nice to look at.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air fryer asparagus
- Air Fryer sweet potato fries
- Air fryer lamb chops
- Air fryer salmon and brussels sprouts
- Air fryer broccoli
You might also like to browse all my healthy egg recipes!
Easy Peel Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Preheat air fryer at 250 F degrees. Add as many eggs as you can fit into a single layer.
- Air fry for 17 minutes.
- Remove cooked eggs into an ice bath and let eggs cool off for 10 minutes.
- To peel the eggs, tap a few times on the counter and remove the shell with your hands.
Store: Refrigerate peeled eggs in a container with a lid for up to 3 days. Unpeeled eggs can be refrigerated uncovered for up to 7 days. Unpeeled eggs last longer. Freshly cooked eggs last for up to 2 hours at room temperature.
Freeze? Cooked eggs do not freeze well. The egg whites become rubbery. You can always use up the cooked eggs whites first and freeze the egg yolks.
- Egg size: I used large eggs. If your eggs come out a bit undercooked, air fry for 19 minutes next time.
- For soft boiled eggs, lower the cooking time by a few minutes.
- If you’re air fryer only goes down to 300 degrees set the air fryer for about 12 minutes.
- Chop and use in favorite recipes like healthy egg salad or cauliflower potato salad.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.