Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe is a 10 minute healthy side dish that goes with anything! Cooked asparagus in air fryer requires minimal oil with crispy and tender results.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Ingredients You Will Need
- How to Cook Asparagus in Air Fryer
- How Long to Cook Asparagus in the Air Fryer?
- Variations to Try
- What to Serve with Air Fryer Asparagus?
- How to Store and Reheat
- More Asparagus Recipes to Try
- More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe Recipe
Once asparagus in the air fryer is done cooking, you will end up with lightly crisp garlicky asparagus spears tender on the inside. Air fryer asparagus also has a more robust flavor than a steamed asparagus.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Easy: A fuss free, last minute vegetable side dish in just 10 minutes.
- Tasty: Light, fresh taste with a hint of garlic.
- Healthy: Low calorie, low carb, gluten free and vegan.
- Nutritious: Packed with fiber, antioxidants and vitamins.
- Perfectly cooked: Crispy ends with tender stalks.
Ingredients You Will Need
Air fryer asparagus recipe ingredients are so simple! All you need is just fresh asparagus and pantry spices to cook asparagus in air fryer any time!
- Asparagus: I prefer thicker asparagus spears because they come out more crunchy. But use what you can find at your grocery store.
- Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is my favorite but any neutral cooking oil like avocado oil will work.
- Seasonings: You can use either freshly grated garlic or garlic powder, depending on time. Plus salt and ground black pepper.
How to Cook Asparagus in Air Fryer
Here is a quick overview how to cook asparagus in air fryer. All you have to do is just trim, season and air fry. Air fryer asparagus recipe is really quick and easy!
- Trim the asparagus: Snap the woody end off of one spear, it will snap off in the correct place naturally. Then use a sharp knife to cut other asparagus stalks to the same length.
- Add oil: Transfer the asparagus to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Add seasonings: Add fresh garlic or garlic powder, salt, pepper and toss gently more.
- Air fry the asparagus: Transfer the asparagus to your air fryer basket in a single layer, with space in between. Air fry asparagus at 400 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, depending on how thick the spears are.
How Long to Cook Asparagus in the Air Fryer?
You should cook your air fryer asparagus for just 5-7 minutes. Cooking time depends on how thick or thin asparagus stalk is. Here is a handy chart for quick reference:
|Asparagus stalk thickness
|Air frying time
Variations to Try
Air fryer asparagus recipe is a versatile side dish and pairs with tons of seasonings and additional ingredients. Here are just a few of my favorite ways to enjoy this nutritious vegetable.
- Lemon: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the asparagus before serving for a zingy, bright flavor. You can also add a small amount of lemon zest.
- Spice: A pinch of red pepper flakes or chili powder would work. Add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup for sweet and spicy air fried asparagus.
- Parmesan cheese: Add 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese after air frying the asparagus.
- Fresh herbs: Several herbs pair wonderfully with asparagus, including fresh parsley, fresh basil, chives, or fresh dill.
- Balsamic flavor: Drizzle with about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar before or balsamic glaze after cooking asparagus in the air fryer.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Asparagus?
- Complete air fryer meal: Air fry asparagus along with air fryer chicken breast or air fryer lamb chops for a healthy meal with protein, healthy fats and carbs.
- Pasta: Makes an easy side for lemon chicken pasta.
- Grains: Turn into a grain bowl by adding to Mediterranean quinoa salad.
- Meat: Serve alongside garlic lemon chicken or with boneless leg of lamb during the holidays.
- Seafood: Asparagus pairs well alongside baked teriyaki salmon.
How to Store and Reheat
Chances are you will not have leftovers! Here is how to store this air fryer asparagus recipe if you do, though.
Store any leftover air fryer asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. For the best texture, reheat in the air fryer at 300 degrees F for 3-4 minutes, or until warm.
You can use a knife to cut off a few ends at a time while asparagus stalks lay flat on a cutting board. Alternatively, if you hold the asparagus in your hands and bend it near the base of the stalk, the woody part of the stem should easily snap off.
Yes. You should always preheat air fryer just like you preheat the oven. If you do not have a preheat button, just set it to the air fryer asparagus recipe temperature and preheat for a few minutes before adding the asparagus.
You can add as much asparagus to the air fryer as you can fit into a single layer. I was able to fit 1 pound of asparagus into my 5.8 quart air fryer. If you have more asparagus to cook or have smaller air fryer, air fry it in batches.
I recommend using oil with a high smoke point such as coconut oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil. I also often use extra virgin olive oil (with a smoke point of 375 F) for recipes up to 400 F and have had no issues so far.
Avoid aerosol cooking spray like non-stick Pam spray as it wears away the non-stick coating in your air fryer basket. Instead, using an oil mister is best.
Yes. Reheat cooked asparagus in air fryer at 300 degrees F for 3-4 minutes or until warm.
More Asparagus Recipes to Try
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air fryer brussels sprouts
- Air fryer salmon
- Air fryer breakfast casserole
- Air fryer spaghetti squash
- Air fryer hard boiled eggs
Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Preheat air fryer at 400 F degrees. To trim asparagus, snap the end of one spear and cut remaining asparagus same length with a knife. Usually 2-3" off, that's the chewy stringy part you don't wanna eat.
- Transfer to a rectangular dish, drizzle with olive oil and toss with your hands. Sprinkle with garlic powder and toss gently again. Finally sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss a few more times.
- Transfer asparagus into the basket of air fryer leveling into a single layer. Air fry at 400 degrees F for 5 – 7 minutes depending on its thickness.
- Serve immediately as a side dish.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Reheat: Reheat cooked asparagus in air fryer at 300 degrees F for 3-4 minutes or until warm.
- Make ahead: Refrigerate seasoned asparagus in an airtight container for up to 24 hours and then cook as per recipe.