Crunchy homemade Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds are so easy to make! Ready in 15 minutes or less these crispy roasted pumpkin seeds make a delicious snack.
Table of contents
This air fryer pumpkin seeds recipe is healthy, tasty, and the perfect healthy snack!
This weekend we finally had time to carve pumpkins amidst busy hockey season for kids. They carved the pumpkins and I literally had to stop them from throwing the seeds away. “Wait, we now have an air fryer. We can air fry the pumpkin seeds, children!”
Pumpkin is an awesome fruit (yes, it’s a fruit). This year I started roasting pumpkin and making homemade pumpkin puree, which leaves me with a lot of seeds. So, here we go.
After your Halloween pumpkin carving is complete, don’t throw away those squash seeds! Learn how to make pumpkin seeds in air fryer and never buy this nutritious snack again.
This is such an easy recipe, just like all other air fryer recipes pretty much!
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Pumpkin Seeds?
Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are full of nutrients and antioxidants including magnesium and zinc. They are a good source of healthy fats and if you leave the shells on they are a great source of fiber, too.
Crunchy air fryer pumpkin seeds are both good for you and a healthy gluten free snack choice during the fall season for the entire family!
How to Clean Pumpkin Seeds?
After carving your pumpkin and removing the seeds, you need to clean your raw seeds. This will prevent your pumpkin seeds from burning.
It can a bit tedious but it is well worth. Here is a quick step-by-step overview how to clean pumpkin seeds.
- Remove seeds from pumpkin and separate pumpkin pulp from the seeds as best as you can.
- Place your fresh pumpkin seeds in a colander and rinse well under cold water until all pulp is gone.
- Alternately, you can boil them in a pot with salted water for 10 minutes. This removes the pulp plus cleans the seeds!
- Drain your seeds and transfer to a paper towel until completely dry. You can press the seeds lightly with a kitchen towel to remove excess water which can help speed up the process.
To make pumpkin seeds in air fryer, you just need 4 simple ingredients.
- Fresh pumpkin or fresh pumpkin seeds: Harvested pumpkin seeds from a fresh pumpkin.
- Olive oil: This will help your seasonings stick on the seeds. I use extra virgin olive oil, you can also use avocado oil or butter.
- Spices: Simple some salt and garlic powder, easy peasy!
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds In The Air Fryer
Here is a step-by-step overview how to cook pumpkin seeds in the air fryer. It’s truly the best way, the cooking process is much easier than in the oven, and ready in only 15 minutes!
- After your seeds are completely dry, preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- In large bowl, toss pumpkin seeds, olive oil, salt and garlic powder until seeds are completely coated.
- Add to an air fryer basket in a single layer, so hot air can circulate around the seeds evenly making them crispy. Air fry pumpkin seeds for 10-15 minutes, shaking once.
- Air fryer pumpkin seeds are ready when crispy. Adjust any seasonings and enjoy the tasty seasoned seeds for a crunchy snack!
How Long to Air Fry Pumpkin Seeds?
Cooking time for larger seeds is 15 minutes, whereas smaller seeds need to be cooked for less time and may take only 10 minutes.
Also air fryer makes and models vary. The air fryer basket style tends to cook food faster than the air fryer oven. So, check on your pumpkin seeds after 10 minute mark.
Tips for Best Results
Learning how to air fry pumpkin seeds is such a simple process, but here are a few notes to ensure they turn out perfect.
- To boil or not to boil pumpkin seeds: It’s really a matter of preference, either way your roasted pumpkin seeds in the air fryer will turn out amazing.
- Larger quantity: For the best crispy pumpkin seeds results, they need to be in a single layer, not overlapping. You may need to work in batches so your air fryer roasted squash seeds turn out perfect.
- Roasted pumpkin seeds seasoning: You can also try these other variations of seasoned seeds! Try chili lime powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, dill, seasoning salt, or for something sweeter try cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds.
- Not just for tasty snacks: Try them on salads for some nutty flavor or toss with some roasted squash before serving!
More Seasoning Ideas
When it comes to air fryer pumpkin seeds seasoning ideas there are many variations to choose from! Try a few to discover a new favorite.
- Chili lime powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Dill with garlic salt
- Seasoning salt
- Salt and vinegar
- Black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Cinnamon and brown sugar
Yes! You could remove the outer white shell and just roast the small green oval seeds inside, but it’s not necessary plus time consuming to remove.
Anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours. The drier they are the crispier they will be after they are air fried. If you carved your pumpkins at night, wash your seeds, set to dry and roast the next day. Easy!
I recommended roasting pumpkin seeds in air fryer at 360 F degrees.
This may be a matter of personal opinion, but here is mine! Learning how to make pumpkin seeds in the air fryer has been a game changer when it comes to toasting them. Air frying pumpkin seeds takes 10 minutes vs. 25 minutes or longer in the oven, plus they turn out much crispier and crunchier!
Store in a cool dry place at room temperature in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
More Pumpkin Recipes
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds harvested from fresh pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Remove seeds from pumpkin and separate the pulp from the seeds as much as you can.
- Add them to a colander and rinse with cold water until all pulp is gone. You can also boil them in a pot with salted water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and transfer seeds on a paper towel and dry off until completely dry.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F. In large bowl, toss pumpkin seeds, olive oil, salt and garlic powder until seeds are completely coated.
- Add to an air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry for 10-15 minutes, shaking once. Seeds are ready when crispy.
- Adjust any seasonings to taste and enjoy!
- Store: In a cool dry place at room temperature in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
- Size of seeds: Larger seeds may take 15 minutes, smaller seeds 10 minutes. Cook in batches if needed.
- Other ways to season: Seasoned salt, chili powder, smoked paprika, or try cinnamon and sugar.
These air fried pumpkin seeds came out amazing. So much easier than in the oven.
I’m so happy to read this! Thanks for your positive feedback!